Why did my oil pressure gauge die?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Why did my oil pressure gauge die??

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Why did my oil pressure gauge die??

Ok, I am getting ready to do some under hood work on my 2000 XJ. I decided to go to the local coin wash to give the engine a bath first.

After the wash I had no oil pressure gauge and the check gauges lite on, (The gauge stays on zero). (ALL OTHER GAUGES STILL WORK) First thought, water intrusion, no big deal. I got home, dried off the plug to the sensor and still no good. I put the instrument panel into the self test, and the gauge does work.

Well 3 days have went by, I am pretty sure all the wiring is dried out by now, but still no gauge.

I am not too familiar with just how the Chrysler gauge is wired. I have looked everywhere I know of for a schematic. Hell, for all I know the damn thing might have blown a fuse.

Any Ideas?

dave564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
bamasteeler
1980 CJ7 

the oil pressure sensor has 3 wires...
1. 5 volt supply from pcm (orange wire)
2. signal back to pcm (grey/yellow wire)
3. ground back thru pcm (brown/yellow wire)

the pcm then controls the gauge in the instrument cluster. did the pcm get wet when you bathed the engine? may want to take the plugs off the pcm and make sure there is no water in any of the plugs, blow them out with some shop air. possible the sensor is bad too. i am on my second one but mine does just the opposite--it pegs at 80 psi with just the key on let alone when engine is running. $45 part at part store or go to a junk yard and find a 97-2001 cherokee, grand cherokee, tj with a 4.0 and take one off of it, cheaper way to determine if its the sensor or if you have a test gauge you can put in place of the sensor to check oil pressure.

1999 XJ CLASSIC
RC 3" front AAL rear
bamasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Those senders are real crappy. Probably bit the dust.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yea the PCM got wet too. I haven't bothered to check the connectors yet. I am actually going to to an engine swap, so I will check it when I pull the harness, and it will be getting a new sensor anyhow. I figured it was going to be something simple, just not sure where to look.
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
bamasteeler
1980 CJ7 

usually is the sensor. however jeep likes to run everything thru the pcm to make things more difficult!!!! i too like to clean my engine but always keep water away from pcm and distributor.

1999 XJ CLASSIC
RC 3" front AAL rear
Unread 05-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would go with the sending unit because 1 they fail fairly often and you most likely washed that area down pretty well due to heavy oil leaks around the oil filter adapter housing.
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave564 View Post
Yea the PCM got wet too. I haven't bothered to check the connectors yet. I am actually going to to an engine swap, so I will check it when I pull the harness, and it will be getting a new sensor anyhow. I figured it was going to be something simple, just not sure where to look.
Just Off topic question, why are you doing engine swap? The pressure could have knocked the connector off, or killed the sensor as previously stated.
79chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79chiefs View Post
Just Off topic question, why are you doing engine swap? The pressure could have knocked the connector off, or killed the sensor as previously stated.
It has had low oil pressure for a long time now, (20psi at 2000 rpm, and 0 at idle) I finally got the money together, and want to get it done before I need it this summer.
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
bamasteeler
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave564

It has had low oil pressure for a long time now, (20psi at 2000 rpm, and 0 at idle) I finally got the money together, and want to get it done before I need it this summer.
Has low pressure or indicates low pressure??

1999 XJ CLASSIC
RC 3" front AAL rear
Unread 05-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Could be bad sender, does it tick? Or any other sign.
79chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The oil pressure is real low, I checked it with a mechanical gauge. That is why the engine is coming out. THE DASH GAUGE quit working after I power washed the engine.
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
bamasteeler
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave564
The oil pressure is real low, I checked it with a mechanical gauge. That is why the engine is coming out. THE DASH GAUGE quit working after I power washed the engine.
Would it not be cheaper to do an oil pump instead of whole engine? Unless you got a donor engine sitting around that you been wanting to put in. How many miles on your current engine?

1999 XJ CLASSIC
RC 3" front AAL rear
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The previous owner changed the pump about 20,000 miles ago. I plan to pull trailers with this on 500 mile round trips. If it wasn't for that I would have just left it alone and drove it till death.

It is already at the shop, and the engine is now in pieces...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.