JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   Why did my oil pressure gauge die?? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/why-did-my-oil-pressure-gauge-die-1520815/)

dave564 05-08-2013 09:31 PM

Why did my oil pressure gauge die??
 
Ok, I am getting ready to do some under hood work on my 2000 XJ. I decided to go to the local coin wash to give the engine a bath first.

After the wash I had no oil pressure gauge and the check gauges lite on, (The gauge stays on zero). (ALL OTHER GAUGES STILL WORK) First thought, water intrusion, no big deal. I got home, dried off the plug to the sensor and still no good. I put the instrument panel into the self test, and the gauge does work.

Well 3 days have went by, I am pretty sure all the wiring is dried out by now, but still no gauge.

I am not too familiar with just how the Chrysler gauge is wired. I have looked everywhere I know of for a schematic. Hell, for all I know the damn thing might have blown a fuse.

Any Ideas?

bamasteeler 05-09-2013 06:13 AM

the oil pressure sensor has 3 wires...
1. 5 volt supply from pcm (orange wire)
2. signal back to pcm (grey/yellow wire)
3. ground back thru pcm (brown/yellow wire)

the pcm then controls the gauge in the instrument cluster. did the pcm get wet when you bathed the engine? may want to take the plugs off the pcm and make sure there is no water in any of the plugs, blow them out with some shop air. possible the sensor is bad too. i am on my second one but mine does just the opposite--it pegs at 80 psi with just the key on let alone when engine is running. $45 part at part store or go to a junk yard and find a 97-2001 cherokee, grand cherokee, tj with a 4.0 and take one off of it, cheaper way to determine if its the sensor or if you have a test gauge you can put in place of the sensor to check oil pressure.

cruiser54 05-09-2013 06:14 AM

Those senders are real crappy. Probably bit the dust.

dave564 05-09-2013 07:23 AM

Yea the PCM got wet too. I haven't bothered to check the connectors yet. I am actually going to to an engine swap, so I will check it when I pull the harness, and it will be getting a new sensor anyhow. I figured it was going to be something simple, just not sure where to look.

bamasteeler 05-09-2013 07:51 AM

usually is the sensor. however jeep likes to run everything thru the pcm to make things more difficult!!!! i too like to clean my engine but always keep water away from pcm and distributor.

buildin1XJ 05-09-2013 11:56 AM

I would go with the sending unit because 1 they fail fairly often and you most likely washed that area down pretty well due to heavy oil leaks around the oil filter adapter housing.

79chiefs 05-09-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave564 (Post 15409946)
Yea the PCM got wet too. I haven't bothered to check the connectors yet. I am actually going to to an engine swap, so I will check it when I pull the harness, and it will be getting a new sensor anyhow. I figured it was going to be something simple, just not sure where to look.

Just Off topic question, why are you doing engine swap? The pressure could have knocked the connector off, or killed the sensor as previously stated.

dave564 05-10-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79chiefs (Post 15412017)
Just Off topic question, why are you doing engine swap? The pressure could have knocked the connector off, or killed the sensor as previously stated.

It has had low oil pressure for a long time now, (20psi at 2000 rpm, and 0 at idle) I finally got the money together, and want to get it done before I need it this summer.

bamasteeler 05-10-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave564

It has had low oil pressure for a long time now, (20psi at 2000 rpm, and 0 at idle) I finally got the money together, and want to get it done before I need it this summer.

Has low pressure or indicates low pressure??

79chiefs 05-10-2013 12:47 PM

Could be bad sender, does it tick? Or any other sign.

dave564 05-11-2013 07:42 AM

The oil pressure is real low, I checked it with a mechanical gauge. That is why the engine is coming out. THE DASH GAUGE quit working after I power washed the engine.

bamasteeler 05-11-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave564
The oil pressure is real low, I checked it with a mechanical gauge. That is why the engine is coming out. THE DASH GAUGE quit working after I power washed the engine.

Would it not be cheaper to do an oil pump instead of whole engine? Unless you got a donor engine sitting around that you been wanting to put in. How many miles on your current engine?

dave564 05-11-2013 09:13 AM

The previous owner changed the pump about 20,000 miles ago. I plan to pull trailers with this on 500 mile round trips. If it wasn't for that I would have just left it alone and drove it till death.

It is already at the shop, and the engine is now in pieces...


The time now is 04:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.