A whole mess of problems with the jeep - should I fix it or let it go - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A whole mess of problems with the jeep - should I fix it or let it go

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-22-2005, 10:28 AM   #1
RedJeepXJ

A whole mess of problems with the jeep - should I fix it or let it go

After some recent wheeling and 2 hours of repair on the trail combined with new problems that came up on the way back, I don't know what to do with this thing. The jeeps alot of fun but has some serious issues

my questions is are my price estimates accurate and can a somewhat capable person do this at home without any special tools

1.) Overheats easily - checked according to haynes didn't seem to have any problems except I didn't really feel a surge after holding the top radiator hose (when approaching red on the gauge) - radiator is clear as it's ever been and will occasionally idle cool replace water pump/thermostat/flush and fill $40-$50

2.) the rear axle pinion shaft has play, leaks and rumbles when accelerating replace bearings and seals $35 - this is a big can I do it?

3.) brakes suck and are uneven(pulls to the left) - start with rear shoes/flush + misc problems $40

4.) lack of power, hard starting (crank for about 15-20 seconds), idles rough -yeah it's small engine but It struggles to keep near the speed limit, was thinking fuel pump - $30 for electric one

5.) a constant clicking sound from the front- would this be hub assemblies or bearings, could it be hubs $115 each, wheel bearings $50 both, ujoints ~$30

it has many minor problems as you would expect, but I don't want to sink alot of money into an old vehicle, to complicate the matter a little more I'm going to be done with college in a year and will most likely be moving and may not be practical to store/work on the jeep then

any thoughts?

Last edited by RedJeepXJ; 06-22-2005 at 10:47 AM..
RedJeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.