Who has removed the head on an 01 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Who has removed the head on an 01

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 02-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Who has removed the head on an 01

Hi all,

I'm replacing the head on my 01 after the original cracked and I just had a few questions after reading the manual:

1.) Felpro gasket from Autozone says not to put sealer on the gasket, but the manual (Haynes) instructs to do so...who do I believe (my guess is Felpro, but just making sure.)

2.) Did you replace head bolts or just clean the old ones up and re-use them.

Thanks in advance for any help

twomanyjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Follow the recommendations of the gasket manufacturer, and NOT the Haynes manual.

Head bolts are of the "torque to yield" type construction. As such, they are intended to be reused ONCE. If they are reused, the recommended practice is to pad dab each bolt head so that the next guy working on the engine will know if the bolts have been reused. Now the trick is....will this always be done.

Owing to that, you may or may not be able to trust whether the head bolts were ever reused before. Proceed accordingly.....
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!

For Sale to Good Home---2000 XJ Factory Service Manual (Printed Version) PM for details.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Jeff,

I've had the vehicle since 40k miles so I'm pretty sure the head was never service before that. Thanks again for the heads up.
Unread 02-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
Back_In_Black
2001 XJ Cherokee 

just did mine last week! its a pain, but I used no sealer, and bought the felpro complete set from Auto zone. what company did you buy a head from? make sure you take it to the machine shop, and if you get the complete gasket sear it will come will valve stems.

[QUOTE=AustinTJer;9988995]Have you ever seen and or filmed a rainbow? More specifically a double, possibly triple rainbow?[/QUOTE]
Back_In_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The head came from a local machine shop, they took a new head with a different casting and assembled the head with my old valves after a valve job and all the other stuff. The head is back on and I didn't use sealer on the Felpro gasket. I didn't buy new bolts either. I just chased the threads in the block and on on the bolts and looked for any signs of necking on the bolts. I was just getting the manifolds torqued up when I got kicked out of the garage so i haven't run the vehicle yet. Thanks for the input though guys.
Unread 02-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
Back_In_Black
2001 XJ Cherokee 

good luck!

[QUOTE=AustinTJer;9988995]Have you ever seen and or filmed a rainbow? More specifically a double, possibly triple rainbow?[/QUOTE]
Back_In_Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.