White Smoke from Jeep Cherokee 2001??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > White Smoke from Jeep Cherokee 2001???

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 05-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
Adrian17
2001 XJ Cherokee 

White Smoke from Jeep Cherokee 2001???

I dont know much about engines but today i let my mom drive my car for work. I just changed the oil a week ago. I did everything right im pretty sure since no leaks or anything occurred. Now today my mom was coming home from work and filled up the tank all the way which i never filled it up full completely and started driving home and said it started smelling like something was burning and weird as soon as she turned down our street which i thought it wasn't my jeep until 5 mins later i get in and it starts up. Took longer then usual to start it.Then as soon as i started driving i new the steering was weird and noticed it really wanted to turn left on its own i put the steering wheel straight and just wanted to make a left on its own. Also i noticed when i was going faster it felt like the engine wasn't perform as it should as soon as i let go of the gas pedal the mph dropped as if i was holding the brakes so i was driving and smelled the smoke that smelled funky and then stopped because i just saw white smoke coming out of the hood. No leaks nothing I don't know what the problem could be since after an hour started it up and everything went back to normal steering was great as if nothing was wrong. Gas pedal and the engine felt as if nothing was wrong and it was nice and cool with no problems? so can someone have an idea of what caused this to happen and make the engine overheat? As of now it seems to be fine but i wana get whatever caused the smoke and overheating replaced for a long trip that i want to take my jeep with.

Adrian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
Adrian17
2001 XJ Cherokee 

bump
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

What was the source of the smoke ?

Did it smell like hot coolant, or like burnt brakes ?

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
sluff28
2001 XJ Cherokee 

First I would check my power steering pump to see if I had fluid if the power steering pump was fine I would take my serpentine belt off and check all of my pullys check your oil and just to be on the safe side transmission fluid. Check brakes and fluid These are the places that I would start I'm no expert hopefully someone with more experience than myself will chime in.
sluff28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
Adrian17
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i dont even know how to describe the smell just smelled like something was burning it was coming from the engine once i opened up the hood where the oil cap is. I opened the cap and i could see white smoke coming from there but the whole engine was hot when i touched the top of it.
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
cjfan13
1976 CJ5 

I would jack up front end and spin the tires to see if they spin free. Running hot could be low coolant or something
cjfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian17 View Post
.... it was coming from the engine once i opened up the hood where the oil cap is. I opened the cap and i could see white smoke coming from there .....
You need to stop driving until you diagnose the problem. I suggest you Google cracked 0331 head , and then have your Jeep towed to a trusted independent repair shop.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I think your mom screwed things up by filling the tank all the way
Kidding!

White smoke could be:
  1. Power steering fluid leaking on to hot engine parts (since you mentioned weird steering). That would explain a weird smell. Power steering fluid will catch fire if it gets too hot leaking on your exhaust.
  2. Transmission fluid leaking on hot engine parts. Transmission fluid will also catch fire.
  3. Coolant leaking on hot engine parts. Coolant will not catch fire.
  4. A seized or sticking brake caliper (since you mentioned it pulling to the left). Hot brakes WILL catch fire.
  5. Worst case: Coolant in oil via a cracked head or blown head gasket (since you have an 0331 head).
My next move would be figuring out how to put a complete sentence together so people will understand you and you'll be able to graduate high school and get a job (or don't they worry about punctuation anymore?)
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
sluff28
2001 XJ Cherokee 

CJ7-tim has it right on the nose if there was a lot of white smoke do what he said. (if it is a cracked head) and you keep driving it a remanufactured engine stats at 3k installed and goes up from there.
sluff28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Adrian17
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i took it for a drive around the neighborhood which you may think is stupid but the problem is gone which is good but not good since i dont know what caused it and itll probably happen again.
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Adrian17
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i found out what the problem is it was actually my brakes on the left driver side that caused the smoke. the brakes stay attached without even being pressed on and caused it to start smoking and even could of started a fire which good thing it didnt. Without even pressing the brakes it caused only the left driver side while all the other brakes were fine. Thats why it was turning left for a random reason and smelled like crap because of the brakes and it smelled exactly like the smell in the car. Thanks for trying to help guys but problem solved and hopefully this is helpfull for someone else that has the same problem.
Unread 05-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #12
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Pulling to one side and lugging the engine pointed to brakes, but you said the smoke came from the motor

Unread 05-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I dont know much about engines ...i was driving and smelled the smoke that smelled funky .
Quote:
coming from the engine...the whole engine was hot when i touched the top of it.
Engines are usually all hot when you touch them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise XJ View Post
White smoke could be:
[*]A seized or sticking brake caliper (since you mentioned it pulling to the left). Hot brakes WILL catch fire.

My next move would be figuring out how to put a complete sentence together so people will understand you
I still go with ^^ this advice...it may make you mad that I point it out...but it's IMPORTANT!! You can thank me when you're 30 and are trying to get your kids to do their homework!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Pulling to one side and lugging the engine pointed to brakes, but you said the smoke came from the motor
I don't think he really knew exactly where the smoke was coming from...just "from under the hood".
Unread 07-21-2013, 01:33 AM   #14
AirManPruett
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i had the same thing happen to me yesterday. but the smoke was coming from the driver side front wheel on my 90 yj. i think it might be the calibers on it most likely with pistons sticking
AirManPruett is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.