White smoke from exhaust.. completely baffled! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > White smoke from exhaust.. completely baffled!

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
BamaXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

White smoke from exhaust.. completely baffled!

Okay, so Friday I took my XJ to the oil change shop to get the oil changed and the transmission fluid changed. They also dropped the oil pan, cleaned it off, put on a new rubber gasket, and put it back on.

An hour after driving away I noticed I had white smoke coming from my exhaust. When I would stop at a red light, immediately after takeoff I have more and more white smoke coming out from the exhaust.

I took it back to the Oil Change Center to get it looked at because it's never smoked before, and they were no help. They switched out the oil filter again and no good.

So, I took it to three other shops around town (Saturday, so not a lot of places are open today) and they all tell me they can't do it.

So basically, here's what I've gathered from this:
-- White smoke from exhaust
-- Checked oil level, they are full.
-- Ran the "No Smoke" stuff from AutoZone through the crankcase. Let it idle and revved it for about five minutes. No good.
-- As far as I can tell, there's no oil leaking anywhere.

I'm baffled, does anybody have any suggestions or maybe an answer? It's driving me crazy and I can't drive it because around here if your exhaust spews a ton of smoke you can get a ticket for it.

Unread 12-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
TjinTopeka
2002 WJ 

Blown head gasket?
TjinTopeka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
BamaXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I actually had that guy from AutoZone suggest that I replace the head gasket so I bought a new one. I've never taken the valve cover off, so how hard is it to replace?
Unread 12-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
Empty_Pockets
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hahaha your ganna need more than the head gasket for that job. Intake/exhaust, and valve cover gasket are also gonna need to be replaced, if your not comfortable working on motors I wouldnt suggest you do it yourself. Its a big job and there are alot of things that could go wrong if not done properly, then your gonna have to do it again. Have you ever overheated it? Also pull your spark plugs and see if any of them look green like theyve had coolant on them. Could also be a cracked head. How many miles are on the motor?
Empty_Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Does the white smoke smell sweet? How's your coolant level doing?
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
BamaXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I actually had the coolant cap burst off and coolant leaked everywhere. I have to flush and refill the system. .There is 177k miles on the motor. I won't be able to do the head gasket because I don't have a torque wrench. Other than that it has overheated once or twice in a two year span, but I just replaced the plugs last week. I'm running that "Smoke Stop" stuff or whatever it's called from AutoZone and it's seemed to not have so much smoke right now but it is still smoking nonetheless. How does that stuff work? Does it require me idling it for a while?
Unread 12-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
TjinTopeka
2002 WJ 

THat stuff is probably more for smoke caused by burning oil.
TjinTopeka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
BamaXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Now that I'm thinking about it. I had the engine bay steam cleaned at the car wash the other day. They were hesitant to do it because the PCV valve was loose and were afraid to get water in it, but they did it anyways. If water got in, is this a bunch of water burning off or is this even a factor?
Unread 12-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #9
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Blue smoke is generally oil

White smoke can be "coolant".......

If it is smoking a lot, the fluid that is burning off will DROP. Keep an eye on your coolant reservoir.

You could perform a "block test", which may yield a clue. It detects the presence of hydrocarbons (oil) in your coolant. It "sniffs" the coolant. NAPA offers a do-it-yourself test kit, but any reputable shop would know how to do this as well.

A compression test would also be in order here. If you get low readings on two adjacent cylinders, that oftentimes indicate a blown head gasket.

TEST your way to a solution here....
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
BamaXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I can not for the life of me figure it out. I'm going to have to get it to a mechanic on Monday. Any idea how much I'm looking at?
Unread 12-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #11
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaXJ View Post
I can not for the life of me figure it out. I'm going to have to get it to a mechanic on Monday. Any idea how much I'm looking at?
Completely impossible to estimate as you don't know root cause. Hope for the best.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
stargate3d

The price for repairing the head gasket (which it sounds like it may be) can be any where from 600 – 1400 USD. This includes the cost of the parts, and the labor cost. The labor costs are high because of the complexity of the entire procedure and also the time required to complete it.
stargate3d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #13
dukie564
1995 XJ Cherokee 

white "smoke" is either coolant, or just condensation/moisture in the exhaust system
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-danger-cart-xj-1297118/
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #14
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie564 View Post
white "smoke" is either coolant, or just condensation/moisture in the exhaust system
Generally, and from my experience "white" is coolant...aka blown head gasket or a cracked head usually. Been there done that on a few cars in the past.

Hope I am wrong.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #15
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a bad head gasket to me, my XJ was experiencing the exact same symptoms... it was the head gasket.
LilyBayXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.