White "smoke" from Ac vent - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > White "smoke" from Ac vent

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 08-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
firedogut

White "smoke" from Ac vent

Need your help again.

The misses just told me she noticed a white "smoke" coming from the Ac vents. Ac was on, fan speed low. When the "smoke" started the Ac was still blowing cold. No smell to the "smoke". She turned on the heater and the "smoke". Went away. Turn on Ac and within a few min "smoke" came back.

Typed on iPhone so please excuse the choppiness
She was on the highway at the time. Light never came on saying the jeep was over heating.

Oh yeah it's a 1999 with about 150k.

firedogut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

xtra hot temps ? xtra muggy ?

Normal behavior, just open your fridge/freezer door, you will see the same thing.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7-tim View Post
xtra hot temps ? Xtra muggy ?

Normal behavior, just open your fridge/freezer door, you will see the same thing.
x2, just had this happen to me a muggy 90 degree morning.
Unread 08-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
firedogut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
xtra hot temps ? xtra muggy ?
Lol. We live in Houston Texas. It's always hot and muggy. Today is a little cooler only 98 or so and a little dryer. Maybe 95% humidity instead of 100%.

Jeep has never does this before. Just check fluids. Everything within normal limits. Heater is hot and Ac is ice cold.

Last time I had white smoke out of vents was
In a 1989 chevy Beretta. The smoke smelled like coolant and the next thing I new my floor boards where soaked in coolant and it cost me way to much to fix. Yeah that car was a POS.

I really hope it is nothing. Time is tight for me right now I don't feel like fixing another item on the jeep. I won't get rid of her, she is so much easier to work on vs my VW jetta.

Last edited by firedogut; 08-31-2010 at 08:53 AM..
Unread 08-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

If it goes away with the heat on I wouldn't suspect the heater core, but keep a check on the coolant level and the passengers side floor.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
firedogut

As soon as she told me the 1st think I checked the the coolant level and if the floor was wet. Coolant level fine (no change from last oil change) and the floor was dry. You can just imagine the relief I had when I felt the floor.

I still wanted to get your thoughts. Make sure I'm not missing anything. We both love the jeep and want to get another 150k out of it.
Unread 08-28-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
firedogut

Maybe I need to check the drain, make sure it is not clogged. Hmmm where is that drain at........
Unread 08-29-2010, 06:05 AM   #8
firedogut

Drain seemed fine.
Unread 08-29-2010, 06:49 AM   #9
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedogut View Post
Drain seemed fine.
Did you squeeze the end of the rubber drain hose to force it open? That bladder end on them can stick shut or clog up with very little debris in it.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

If the a/c is running nice and cold it will condense the moisture in the air and you get fog out of the vents. My A/C has problems, and I am fed up with it now, but back when it still worked I had to jump the low pressure switch because it was bad. And without the pressure regulation the a/c would get extra cold, and the evaporator would start to ice up (running on recirculate), and you could tell because the air volume would diminish. Then you flip it on exterior air and the hot air coming in would de-ice the evaporator, and fog would blow out the vents. (then because I am a polar bear I wanted the extra cold interior so I would flip it back to recirculate and start the cycle all over again...)

SO my point is if your running on exterior air, and the low pressure switch was stuck open it could be getting colder than it is supposed to. That would make it fog more.

Or it could be nothing, just a fluke day.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
firedogut

Recap with some updates: (from wife)

Have had this jeep for several years in Houston and never had AC misty/smoke issues. Then I was driving home last week when suddenly it started blowing the white "smoke" from the vents. The AC was on recirculate when it happened and was turned to the coldest temperature setting. It went away almost immediately when I switched it over to heat instead of AC.

From then on, EVERYtime I turn the AC on cold it starts blowing the "smoke" after driving about 10 to 15 min (recirculate or outside air, doesn't matter... also doesn't have to be very humid outside) Testing several different things, I have found that turning up the temp knob a few degrees from the coldest temp is enough to stop the "smoking" and also prevents it from starting.

Checked the drain tube: It is a 3 inch long rubber tube that we removed, verified inside was clear and reconnected. Also tried inserting a wire into inlet where this rubber tube was attached to. No obvious clogs but wire doesn't insert very far since it seems like the pathway curves sharply. Is there something I'm missing here? seemed unlikely that this short tube could clog up.

From these comments and my own researching online, it sounds like a "frosting over" issue and not to be worried, but my concern is what has changed with the vehicle that this is all of a sudden an issue? Is the system pressure too low or too high? What would cause my evaporator to suddenly cool so much that its freezing over repeatedly?
Finally -- is it bad for the system if this happens chronically?
Unread 08-31-2010, 04:56 PM   #12
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

MAX AC will cause the "smoke". Try running BI-LEVEL just a tad off the coldest setting, using the highest fan speed.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #13
kevinstereo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Same smoke problem here

Just started yesterday....newport news va....very hot 90s, very muggy (95%). I've ALWAYS had problems with my AC. In 05 all my vents would do was blow high or not at all...then all of a sudden it stopped....it still trickled heat and ac hot and cold. Now the white smoke. IS THERE A POSSIBLE RECALL I MAY HAVE MISSED for my 2001 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 Sport? I had a buddy with the same problem on his 2002.
kevinstereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #14
cademan04
1997 XJ Cherokee 

i also live in the houston area. i occassionally get the "smoke" especially after some rain on a hot day.
cademan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #15
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Pretty sure that's just water vapor, probably because it was humid out. The A/C was blowing super cold air into a hot and humid atmosphere and the water condensed. No need to worry, it's just chemistry doing it's thing.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.