Whiny noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Whiny noise

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 01-29-2014, 07:29 AM   #1
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Whiny noise

2000XJ, 112k, 4.0 auto. So it's very cold here in NY, 12 degrees, so not sure if it's a weather thing. When I started this morning, the engine had a whiny sound to it. Same when the car was driving, the sound followed along with the shifting sounds of engine/transmission. I have been changing the transmission fluid slowly but I don't think that's causing it. It seemed to get better as it warmed up. Also, when I stopped at a hill and had to accelerate from a dead stop, it seemed to slip or hop out of the stop. I'm not sure if that's connected, thanks as always for the help.

JBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlue View Post
.... I have been changing the transmission fluid slowly ......I stopped at a hill and had to accelerate from a dead stop, it seemed to slip or hop out of the stop. I'm not sure if that's connected, .....
What type of transmission fluid are you using ?

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim
What type of transmission fluid are you using ?
Dex/merc. I've drained and filled 2x now over the last few hundred miles. I've only had the truck for about 6 months now and I've come to learn how neglected it was. The fluid looked like it was never changed. It was shifting fine and all but I wanted to slowly change it out. I'm hoping this is just an odd sound from it being cold outside but very odd.
Unread 01-29-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The most typical part to make a whiney sound is the power steering pump. Keep an eye on all fluid levels and listen for any changes in the noise.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
The most typical part to make a whiney sound is the power steering pump. Keep an eye on all fluid levels and listen for any changes in the noise.
Good point. And, it's never a bad idea to change the power steering fluid either.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #6
um7267
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
mine makes that noise when turning at low speeds, and on the very cold mornings we have been having, -15 with -40 wind chills the past few nights, i have noticed that when its that cold it may be a good idea to set the parking brake and shift to neutral to allow the trans to warm up before taking off, i mean we start the car to warm up the oil why not the trans?

but anyway that cold and giving it gas the trans likes to whining noise to it (its topped off and in fine working condition) after a few minutes its warmed up and good to go
to the good times and the bad, the family we have and lost, little brother 1988-2011
um7267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 05:22 AM   #7
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Cruiser, Tim, and Um. It may be from it being so cold. I'll try changing out the pump fluid too.
Unread 01-30-2014, 06:19 AM   #8
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlue View Post
Thanks Cruiser, Tim, and Um. It may be from it being so cold. I'll try changing out the pump fluid too.
Even if you remove the fluid from the pump with a turkey baster and then top it off, that may help. Then, do it again in a week or so.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 06:48 AM   #9
mhall02
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Could be any of the belt driven items, I had a minor whine for a few years, then my alternator died Monday. New alternator and no more whine!
mhall02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.