Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

where is the transmission fill plug on a manual

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  TPG013 
#1 ·
where is the fill plug and drain plugs on a 88 jeep cherokee 4wd 4.0 litre and the transmission is a manual that doesn't have a stick under the hood. write me thank you

#2 ·
Don't hold me to this, but I think it's AX15 tranny ? Mine is.
It could also be (Peugot)BA10 ?( I'm not sure if the latter was paired with 4.0L engines. )
It should not be AX5. (Those were paired with v6 and 2.5's)

AX15 fill plug is on drivers side about half way up the side.It is in the adapter plate.
(A roughly 3" wide extension on the back of the main transmission housing)
Look for 2 gasketed seams in trans. housing. Fill is between those seams in that extension plate.
Drain on passenger side at the very bottom.
"Valvolene Part Number 818-Available at NAPPA for $5.00
is a great cheap and easy way to get gear oil back in there again.
It's a pump and long hose that screws to the oil bottle.
No mess=less stink

#3 ·
If the tranny is split down the middle, has two halves, it's the Peugot. If not it's the Asin. I believe the peugot was used from '88 to mid '89 with the 4.0.

The Drain plug on the Peugot is at the back of the tranny and the fill plug is on the passanger side very near the top. The fun part is finding the right tool to open them up. Like the differential fill plugs it looks as if all you would need to do is stick a socket wrench in there and turn, but it's a very odd size. On mine the drain plug is 5/16 and the fill slightly bigger. I went to Home depot and bought a steel rod and ground it down until it fit. Good luck.

As for the Asin, I have no idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.