Where is the engine block coolant drain plug??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Where is the engine block coolant drain plug???

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #16
dproctor0715
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
Early ones took an 8m/m square drive pawl - this can be made easily from an 8m/m or 5/16" hex key with a grinder in about five minutes (grinding wheel in a drill motor/drill press, angle grinder, bench wheel, whatever.) You just grind down two opposite corners until it fits in the square.

I did the same thing to make the drain/fill plug wrench for my BA-10 transmissions (damned things!) It's easier to grind down a hex key than to grind down two faces on a 3/8" square.

I have unconfirmed information that it's a standard pipe plug - if it is, please let me know! I'd prefer to use brass there instead of steel (or maybe just put in a drain valve instead of a plug, so I can drain the block easily.)
Your ideas above make sense. I didn't know the correct size for the square key before I started. I was trying to find the correct size on JF when I found this thread. It didn't say what the correct size was at that time. I figured it was around 5/16" based the fact that the square end on my 1/4" drift punch fit loosely. I probably could have just put an adjustabe open end on that and turned the plug out, but feared the worst. So I didn't do it. Plus I wanted some information. So, after driving to two parts stores and asking for square key drivers, neither had them. I drove to ACE and bought a Craftsman 1" long 3/8 extension ($3.98) to size a tool out of. I knew it wouldn't twist off in the hole unless I ruined the steel by getting it too hot. I used what I had available in the shop. What I did worked. That's a fact. So I posted something here when I was done, for the next guy. - I ramble...

Anyway, after removing the plug I took it to the NAPA store where we verified it is a 3/8" NPT thread into the block. I then used a 3/8" X 1/4" NPT Brass Bushing so I'd have a hex head brass fitting tightened into the block to start with. Then the 1/4" NPT drain petcock threads into the bushing.

It's not leaking so far.
So if NPT isn't the right thread, someone please tell me what it is and I'll spend more money.

dproctor0715 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 12:00 AM   #17
predawn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

dproctor, i just did this and can confirm you are probably right on the size. 3/8th MIP bushing threaded in good for me to drain, but i have yet to find a hex head one to close it off for good (no desire to make a petcock).

ONE question: did you use any sealer on the brass threads? Is it necessary (like permatex #2?)
predawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #18
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by predawn View Post
dproctor, i just did this and can confirm you are probably right on the size. 3/8th MIP bushing threaded in good for me to drain, but i have yet to find a hex head one to close it off for good (no desire to make a petcock).

ONE question: did you use any sealer on the brass threads? Is it necessary (like permatex #2?)
PTFE pipe dope or RTV won't go amiss, here.

And, thanks for the verification on the size. I now need to find a cable-operated 3/8" NPT drain valve...
Unread 09-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #19
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweeXJ View Post
Pulling the lower radiator hose should be just as effective.
The block drain is not an easy thing to get to...or remove. It's not a hex head, nor an allen, nor a torx. It's a 5/16" SQUARE plug. Since there is no readily available square wrench socket. You have 2 options.

Use a 3/8 ratchet extension (that you don't need) and grind all four sides down to make it 5/16 til it fits, then remove the plug and when you're done replace it with a regular hex head plug...

OR

#@&! IT...just pull the lower hose, there will still be about 1-2 cups of coolant in the block, then stick a garden hose in the lower part of the water pump to get MOST of any sediment out...MUCH easier and almost as effective.

...and when you ask "why'd they do that"? Because it was easier for them
Unread 09-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #20
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Or
If you wanted to go thru the hassel and a few $$

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piec...set-94961.html
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #21
predawn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Or

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/293916/00262/

If your not near HFT and/or need one in a pinch without buying whole set. 8mm fit my 97, i think its different for later year 4.0 blocks.
predawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #22
89GerberXJ

My coolant drain plug is on the drivers side of the block just above the engine mount. My '89 has a temp sensor in it but the junkyard motor had the goofy square hole plug. Since I reused the sensor I just use a bolt extractor to get it out.
89GerberXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.