Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

where does this connect?

910 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Timo_90xj 
#1 ·
I have a 1990 xj with anti lock brakes where does this vacuum line hook to? on xj's with a brake boosters it connects there as a vacuum source since there is no booster on mine I am lost as to where it connects. I have it circled in the picture I attached. Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
^- are you sure?

It's too long time since I owned the 1990 XJ with ABS (pulled the ABS system in 2007), but IIRC it had the large vacuum port on the intake manifold for standard brake booster plugged.
Up to '91 ABS system (the very famous & crappy hydroboost Bendix ABS) does not use vacuum at all.

#5 ·
That picture you posted has absolutely nothing to do with the Bendix hydroboost ABS system.

Your picture is of the older style standard brakes with a single diaphragm vacuum booster + all-metal master cylinder/ fluid canister assembly.

#6 ·
That picture you posted has absolutely nothing to do with the Bendix hydroboost ABS system.

Your picture is of the older style standard brakes with a single diaphragm vacuum booster + all-metal master cylinder/ fluid canister assembly.
Engineer Timo_90xj you are right, belongs to systems without ABS. If you search the word "Hirdrovac" on Google you will find that it is the same "Power Booster Vaccum", you are probably confusing yourself with the HCU "Hydraulic Control Unit" for ABS systems:

subir foto
QRV.

#7 ·
I am not confusing myself with anything. The Bendix abs system found on '88-'91 XJs is not your normal abs-system (usually, abs system use a vac.booster + MC, just like standard brakes do).

Bendix system uses a pump and accumulator system to produce the boost, not vacuum.
Do not confuse the OP with info and pictures not related to the hydroboost bendix abs system.

That intake manifold vacuum port is plugged on abs-equipped XJs of the Bendix abs era. Here's what the Bendix abs-unit looks like, compated to a normal vac.booster + MC unit. This is from my first 1990 XJ.
The second picture shows the plugged vacuum port.

#9 ·
Thanks for sorting that out since there is not booster that original post didn't do much for me.. lol.. so it is supposed to be plugged, so when I plug mine the jeep dies, there fore it is a safe assumption that the egr is plugged and that is my it is running so crappy. Would you all agree with this conclusion?

#10 ·
so it is supposed to be plugged, so when I plug mine the jeep dies, there fore it is a safe assumption that the egr is plugged and that is my it is running so crappy. Would you all agree with this conclusion?
It's supposed to be plugged, and your Jeep shouldn't die when it is plugged.

EGR has nothing to do with this, the Renix system doesn't really know if the EGR is there or not. You can remove the EGR system from the Renix- era 4.0 and plug the EGR metal tube ports, pull the vacuum systems that have something to do with the EGR and plug the vacuum ports. Your engine will run just the same, difference being your intake manifold will be MUCH cleaner :D
I do not know if it is illegal to pull the EGR system in the USA, I do know it can be done here in Finland on vehicles of this age as long as it doesn't affect emissions - which it really doesn't.

You have some other issues causing the engine to die with the large vacuum port plugged.
Cruiser54 IIRC has a pretty comprehensive list of things that can be wrong, and plenty of knowledge on the Renix 4.0 :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.