Where is coolant Temperature Sensor on 1989 model? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Where is coolant Temperature Sensor on 1989 model?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-25-2006, 07:31 AM   #1
clifsmith

Where is coolant Temperature Sensor on 1989 model?

Where is coolant Temperature Sensor on 1989 model and does it control the computer for fuel / air mixture? My haynes manual shows a 1991 sensor on the thermostat housing, but mine is not there.

Thanks!

clifsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2006, 08:19 AM   #2
Scrub
2012 KK Liberty 

there are 2 sensors, one is in the radiator on the driverside a little more than half way down, and the other in in the top of the head on the driverside almost all the way back.

2012 Jeep KK Liberty Sport - Stock for now
Scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
BrettM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub
there are 2 sensors, one is in the radiator on the driverside a little more than half way down, and the other in in the top of the head on the driverside almost all the way back.
the one in the radiator is only for the electric fan if yours came with one. the one at the very back driver's side of the head goes to the dash guage, and I think a different one is used for a guage versus idiot lights.
[email]brett@AWshifting.com[/email][URL="http://www.AWshifting.com"][CENTER]Control your tranny - AWshifting.com[/CENTER][/URL][b][center][color=mediumturquoise]pushbutton and paddleshifters available now![/color][/center][/b][URL=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=232083][RIGHT]Jeep MJ truggy[/RIGHT][/URL]
BrettM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
JoeShmoXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettM
the one in the radiator is only for the electric fan if yours came with one. the one at the very back driver's side of the head goes to the dash guage, and I think a different one is used for a guage versus idiot lights.

Quoted for truth, this man has it right. Brett: what would be the wait on a joystick? been looking at your stuff on naxja.
44 Rear: Aussie/Crown Vic Disks/4.88's
JoeShmoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2006, 07:38 PM   #5
ChaoticBastard
2012 JK Wrangler 

Its supposed to be on the thermo housing.Thats where my 89 was.
MetalHead Jeep Club Member #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kairo
what's wrong with bombing poor people? It has all the awesomeness of bombing combined with removal of crime. It's like a win win situation.
Unwad your panties
ChaoticBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2006, 07:43 PM   #6
anony91xj

The coolant temp sensor that sends a signal to the PCM on the Renix 4.0's is located in the side of the block, driver side, below the manifolds.
Unread 06-25-2006, 07:45 PM   #7
ChaoticBastard
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anony91xj
The coolant temp sensor that sends a signal to the PCM on the Renix 4.0's is located in the side of the block, driver side, below the manifolds.

Yes you are correct.But there are 2
Quote:
what's wrong with bombing poor people? It has all the awesomeness of bombing combined with removal of crime. It's like a win win situation.
Unwad your panties
Unread 06-25-2006, 08:10 PM   #8
JoeShmoXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

To recap, i'll summarize. There are three sensors:

Gauge - Located on drivers side, rear of head. (one wire)
Elec. Fan - Located on drivers side, radiator, near lower hose (2 wires)
PCM - Located on drivers side, on the block underneath the manifold.

There should be no sensor in the thermostat housing, that came in 91+
44 Rear: Aussie/Crown Vic Disks/4.88's
JoeShmoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2006, 08:28 PM   #9
BrettM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShmoXJ
Quoted for truth, this man has it right. Brett: what would be the wait on a joystick? been looking at your stuff on naxja.
sending ya a PM
[email]brett@AWshifting.com[/email][URL="http://www.AWshifting.com"][CENTER]Control your tranny - AWshifting.com[/CENTER][/URL][b][center][color=mediumturquoise]pushbutton and paddleshifters available now![/color][/center][/b][URL=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=232083][RIGHT]Jeep MJ truggy[/RIGHT][/URL]
BrettM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2006, 10:14 PM   #10
ChaoticBastard
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShmoXJ

There should be no sensor in the thermostat housing, that came in 91+

My 90 waggy with the renix had that sensor on the housing.I remember when I changed out the water pump.The system wasnt upgraded .Maybe they just swapped housings earlier.But it also had the plug in it
Quote:
Unwad your panties

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.