when i put my 1995 jeep cherokee sport in drive it clunks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > when i put my 1995 jeep cherokee sport in drive it clunks

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 06-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
lionsdetroit
1995 XJ Cherokee 

when i put my 1995 jeep cherokee sport in drive it clunks

When ever i put my jeep in drive it makes a clunk noise i took it to a machanic he said its a jeep thing is that true? u joints are fine

lionsdetroit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

mine clunks...I've always understood it to be a Chrysler trademark...maybe our tranny mounts are worn out

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
lowicz96
1995 XJ Cherokee 

My 95 sport makes all kinds of chrysler clunks, Every now and then when its getting bad i remove the read driveshaft and pack the slip yoke with grease. Makes it quit again.

88' Cherokee Limited - RIP

Sold - 96' Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2 Door, AW4, NP242, Its the girlfriends now!!
lowicz96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsdetroit View Post
When ever i put my jeep in drive it makes a clunk noise i took it to a machanic he said its a jeep thing is that true? u joints are fine
This is NOT a Jeep thing... It can happen with any automobile.
Causes of type of clunk in a XJ; low or excessive transmission fluid, worn U-joints, DS Slip joint needs lube, Worn Spring bushings, miss adjusted rear brakes, excessive play in rear differential gears, loose exhaust hangers, worn motor or Trans mounts, worn shocks, loose shock mounts.
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
lowicz96
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gc40 View Post
Causes of type of clunk in a XJ; low or excessive transmission fluid, worn U-joints, DS Slip joint needs lube, Worn Spring bushings, miss adjusted rear brakes, excessive play in rear differential gears, loose exhaust hangers, worn motor or Trans mounts, worn shocks, loose shock mounts.
or a new jeep

88' Cherokee Limited - RIP

Sold - 96' Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2 Door, AW4, NP242, Its the girlfriends now!!
lowicz96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I like to shift mine into N when there are people with me, it really seems to help the issue

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
Metzroth
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Lots of vehicles do it...the most common reason has already been mentioned and that is excessive play in the rear end. Have someone shift it into drive while you watch the drive shaft turn back by the rear end. Obviously they don't need to drive with you under the jeep, just shift into drive while holding the brakes.
2000 XJ Classic - 33" GY Duratracs, 15x10 Cragar V5s, Crown HD springs, Clayton adjustable shackles, OME Nitrocharger Sport Long Travel Shocks, JKS Discos, extended brake lines, 2" poly spacers in front with V8 ZJ springs, Powerslot Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Hella E-Code headlight housings, Narva 100/130 Bulbs, Olympic Top Hat Rack, etc.
Metzroth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
98beast
1998 XJ Cherokee 

check your ujoints to make sure then check your tranny fluid then check your tranny mounts.
98beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gc40 View Post
"Yeah", "What he said" Except you left out the possibility of automotive gremlins with little hammers hitting your floor whenever you put it in gear. The solution to that problem is driving thru deep water and or mud, alot. They hate that.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If the u joints in the drive shaft are not the cause of the noise then probably you also have some play between the various parts inside the rear Differential. They are normally set up so that there is very little room between the parts. When one moves it almost instantly makes the next one move etc. When things are set up correctly as soon as the Drive shaft starts to turn everything else starts to turn and that includes the wheels. When things get older the space between the gears increases due to wear and it takes a while for things to catch up. as each piece hits the next it causes noise.

As an example, try this, take a piece of chain and stretch it out across the lawn so that each link is tight against the others. When you pull on the end the far end will start to move almost immediately and there wont be very much noise. Now take the same chain and lay it out so that all of the links are loose and not tight. Now pull the end and it takes a while for the other end to move and you will hear noise as each link bangs into the next one.

Now think about that chain hooked to a car at one end and you start to pull by walking with the chain in the other direction. When the chain is tight you will not get very far or very fast before you have started to apply smooth force to the car. When the chain is loose you may be moving pretty good by the time the chain goes tight and there will be a pretty good jerk at the other end of the chain when it finally goes tight.
Mighty Thor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #11
cj7jeeps
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Have had 3 diff xj's do this to me has always been the rear u joints.
cj7jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.