When do you use the lower gears on the automatic transmission? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > When do you use the lower gears on the automatic transmission?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
yooper2001xj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

When do you use the lower gears on the automatic transmission?

I've searched for awhile on this with no luck.

Can anyone explain when to shift into the lower gears, 3,2,1 on the auto transmission? When to use and not to use them? Any info or links explaining this would be great.

Thanks

yooper2001xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I use them for long downhill sections on the highway in mountainous terrain to slow down without smoking my brakes. And I use them off road to pick an appropriate speed range for the trail surface.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
JeepCherokee513
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I hardly ever use the lower gears unless im 4 wheeling, and even then i mostly keep it in Drive. unless im going up a somewhat steep hill then i'll throw it down in 1-2.
JeepCherokee513 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Use OD (overdrive) for all your daily driving.

Use 3 for towing.

Use 3 for downhill sides of mountain roads, the engine compression will help slow the vehicle. Use 3 for very steep uphill mountain roads like Vail Pass.

Use 3 for 4x4 trails. Use 1-2 for very step downhill 4x4 trail sections. The engine compression will help slow the Jeep without using the brakes

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
Greenz
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
I use them for long downhill sections on the highway in mountainous terrain to slow down without smoking my brakes. And I use them off road to pick an appropriate speed range for the trail surface.
X2
Greenz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Gnl.Weirdness
2000 XJ Cherokee 

1-2 is nice for steep roads with snow/ice on them as well.
Gnl.Weirdness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #7
yooper2001xj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

When towing in 3, is there a max speed? I assume when towing something light, like a small boat, drive is fine. When towing a U-Haul loaded, down shifting to 3 would be a good idea.
Unread 10-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
yooper2001xj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Use OD (overdrive) for all your daily driving.

Use 3 for towing.

Use 3 for downhill sides of mountain roads, the engine compression will help slow the vehicle. Use 3 for very steep uphill mountain roads like Vail Pass.

Use 3 for 4x4 trails. Use 1-2 for very step downhill 4x4 trail sections. The engine compression will help slow the Jeep without using the brakes
When towing in 3, is there a max speed? I assume when towing something light, like a small boat, drive is fine. When towing a U-Haul loaded, down shifting to 3 would be a good idea.
Unread 10-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
natetuff
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I would more or less obey posted speed limits, maybe even 5mph under depending on what you are towing.
Your RPMs should tell you the appropriate speed in 3rd.

The main thing to remember about towing is not just getting up or traveling at a certain speed, it's slowing down/stopping. Similar to snow/ice conditions,
you can go as fast as you want, but good luck stopping.
natetuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
lowicz96
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I've always heard you don't put it in overdrive while towing because when the torque converter locks up, it puts to much stress on the trans and it will overheat from the pump not pumping fast enough.
1 - 2 for steep incline/declines and some wheeling
3 - towing
OD - regular driving

But like what natetuff said its not how fast you can pull something, its getting it stop. I've pulled an XJ with another XJ and it pulled great but was scary as **** having to stop it in traffic

88' Cherokee Limited - RIP

Sold - 96' Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2 Door, AW4, NP242, Its the girlfriends now!!
lowicz96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:20 PM   #11
Greenz
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I towed ~2500# trailer across the country mostly in OD. In the mountains, used the gears to help with speed control. Plenty of snow and ice in the rockies made me stay cautious.

Did not have any overheating issues with the tranny nor had any breaking problems. I did install a tranny cooler before the trip and it was in December so that may have been the difference.

Hardly new it was back there except it was wider than the jeep and the mirrors barley worked with it.

Frickin sand on the road sand blasted my rockers, rear flares, windshield, and tire width pattern on the front of my trailer. Thanks Idaho!
Greenz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2009, 01:29 AM   #12
Luke94XJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I occasionally tow 1800 lbs of Jet skis/trailer, leaving it in 3 definitely helps, especially in slightly hilly sections. In most truck manuals it will tell you to take the trans. out of overdrive.
Luke94XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2009, 02:36 AM   #13
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper2001xj View Post
When towing in 3, is there a max speed?
Whatever the speed limit is.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2009, 06:28 AM   #14
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My drive from the DC area to Snowshoe mountain ski resort is full of pretty big mountains, so this time I left it in 3rd going up and down the mountains. Needed the extra gearing to get up the hills and used the engine braking so my brakes weren't burning up on the way down.

Occasionally, if I'm towing the wave runner locally and not going over 50mph, I'll keep it in 3rd.

Last time I went wheeling, I'd put it in 1st going down really steep hills and it gives you tons of control because you barely have to hit the brakes and you just crawl down the hill. Helps more if you have shorter gears as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.