When do I need an XJ steering box brace? How large size tires before needing brace? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > When do I need an XJ steering box brace? How large size tires before needing brace?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

When do I need an XJ steering box brace? How large size tires before needing brace?

At what point does an XJ need, or benefit from, a steering box brace?

Is a brace needed for 30 X 9.5 R15 tires?

For 31 X 10.5 R15 tires?

What brands of steering box brace do you recommend?

Unread 04-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
K-R
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i used a c-rok brace.

Unread 04-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
haloperformance
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I have the same brace. I put mine on when i made the jump from 31s to 35s. Is there any play where the box is mounted now? And stress cracks or anything that is making you concerned?
1991 XJ: 35"s, 4:56s 5.5"LA lift, stretched, locked, skids, caged, high steer, spray paint. I think it was stock at one point.
<-1978 CJ5 parts - click on my classified
haloperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I read somewhere that it's a good idea to have a steering box brace on an XJ if tires are 31" or larger.

Does that sound correct?
Unread 04-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just grab one whenever you can afford it. Or get a beefy front bumper that comes with frame plates anyway.

I was ok on 32's, but cracked my frame by the steering box right after I switched to 35s.

I think the braces that connect the steering box to the other side of the frame are better than just plating around the bolts. Add a trackbar brace that does the same thing.
Unread 04-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
People have cracked the steering box area with stock lift and tires. I'd recommend a steering box brace if you wheel your XJ. As mentioned above, the ones that use crush sleeves between the inner and outer plates are better. But just having plates on both sides will help a lot.

It's not a bad idea to use a trackbar brace too if you're running larger tires or use heavy pedal. I had a couple frame cracks on the front of my XJ, I wheeled it for two years on 35s and long arms, had a steering box brace and a sturdy winch bumper from day one.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Would a Detours Backbone bumper system with steering box brace be adequate steering box protection wheeling with 31" tires?

http://www.detoursusa.com/xjbackbone.php

http://www.detoursusa.com/images/xjbackbone03.jpg

Not necessarily set on getting it, but considering it.
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Does that plate one or both sides? Does it have crush sleeves in middle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-R View Post
i used a c-rok brace.

Unread 04-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What are good brands that have inner and outer plates with a crush sleeve in between? I want to stick with stock bumper, unless I get a Detours Backbone (which is still stock bumper looking).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
People have cracked the steering box area with stock lift and tires. I'd recommend a steering box brace if you wheel your XJ. As mentioned above, the ones that use crush sleeves between the inner and outer plates are better. But just having plates on both sides will help a lot.

It's not a bad idea to use a trackbar brace too if you're running larger tires or use heavy pedal. I had a couple frame cracks on the front of my XJ, I wheeled it for two years on 35s and long arms, had a steering box brace and a sturdy winch bumper from day one.
Unread 04-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3
Does that plate one or both sides? Does it have crush sleeves in middle?
That is c-rok. And yes it plates the outside and comes with a new steel piece to mount the steering box to. And also crush sleeves.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
superogar5000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I got a question I bought a inner brace from jcr and it didn't come with crush sleeves I haven't installed it yet do I need them? If so where can I find them (like local auto parts store or online) and what length and diameter?
superogar5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
dav5942

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Would a Detours Backbone bumper system with steering box brace be adequate steering box protection wheeling with 31" tires?

http://www.detoursusa.com/xjbackbone.php

http://www.detoursusa.com/images/xjbackbone03.jpg

Not necessarily set on getting it, but considering it.
With 31s four years, no brace, no problem.

With 33s two years with Detours Backbone-no problem.

Unread 04-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #13
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Id have to agree with Timo90xj, if you wheel it, you brace it. I bought mine all stock with 4cyl. after 2 yrs of 4" lift/32's/lockers, my junk is all twisted in front and I wished I had plated the frame also. Now im building a box tube frame and cutting the old one off. Not an easy weekend project at all. Just brace as you go for peace of mind. You'll appreciate it in the end.

If your asking if you need something for extra strength, you probably do, within reason.
Unread 04-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #14
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post
If your asking if you need something for extra strength, you probably do, within reason.
Ya, I agree with you. In a prior XJ (96 XJ) I broke a stock rear differential running stock 225/75R15 AT tires doing some unintensional rock crawling. I got in to a situation that was more than I expected. Like that movie "Caught up", I got caught up and literally couldn't back out.

Currently, on a 99 XJ, I recently got 30 x 9.5 R15 Grabber AT2 (new version) and the run 0.3" to 0.5" taller than other brands of 30 x 9.5 R15 AT, and 0.5" to 0.75" wider. They look like a 10.25" wide tire to my eye.

I can feel the steering hesitating and straining while turning in to, or out of, parking lots, and when parking, and when hitting bumps on rural roads, and driving on a rough logging road that is almost off roading. All that in 2wd and I can feel the steering straining.
Unread 04-19-2013, 01:03 AM   #15
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I want to go to the C-Rok steering brace website and learn more about it, and probably buy it.

But Google didn't tell me a Web address.

What is the Web address for C-Rok manufacturer and seller? Where can I buy one?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.