When to Change out Timing Chain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > When to Change out Timing Chain

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
350zmarty
1996 XJ Cherokee 

When to Change out Timing Chain

Hi Folks, what is the recommended mileage to replace the timing chain and tensioner? I just bought my 96 Classic 4.0 automatic, with 153,000 miles. It runs perfect, and these engines are well known to last, but I want to keep it running great as well.

350zmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Don't know the recommendation but:

My 90 XJ just passed 230K, the chain has never been replaced. I'm replacing the failing harmonic balancer on the 88 MJ and will be assessing the look of that one at 170K. I should probably do the same to the XJ but...no symptoms...so, if it ain't broke...etc.

Just be happy it's a chain and not a belt. Just keep it well lubricated.
Unread 02-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

No need to replace it unless you have symptoms pointing to them.

They are VERY hardy.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 01:40 AM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I've seen them slap the block at 70k and seen them tight at 200k. Its a crap shoot, but don't rear into them unless you have another reason to be in there or your have symptoms.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 02:27 AM   #5
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

i say that if your engine begins to feel a little under powered but runs fine then why not do it as preventative maintenance? if any of you with higher mileage engines take your oil pan off, you can check the slack in the chain and ill bet youre surprised. about 30k ago i probably had at least 1/2" of slop. i plan on changing mine at 200k just for good measure. i would rather it not break while im driving, or to have it become stretched enough to make my engine run noticeably poorer.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/timing-chain-179k-pics-460596/

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 04:50 AM   #6
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I was considering doing this, because I've replaced alot of stuff on the motor tune up wise, and the entire suspension ect.

However as a mechanic and an avid car buyer, when I see new timing chain, I normally think it must have snapped, because its not something most people do. Timing belts are common to be changed on hondas, thats about it.

IDK how I feel about this, just weird that everytime I start thinking about something to do to the jeep, a thread pops up about it within 24 hrs.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 06:46 AM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Even ig the timing chain breaks you won't have catastrophic engine failure like most imports.

Unread 02-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #8
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thats because of the low tolerances. if the valve clearance was like that on some of the newer 4's and 6's... bam! Toast!
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
cbr900
1993 XJ Cherokee 

your engine will let you know, its just one of those things that will break when it breaks.
cbr900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
350zmarty
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I think I will go with the ole', " If it aint Broke, dont fix it" mentality. It runs great. I took it through emissions today, and with 153,000, it passed with flying colors
350zmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #11
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350zmarty View Post
Well, I think I will go with the ole', " If it aint Broke, dont fix it" mentality. It runs great.
Unless you are a trust fund child, that strategy is really the best.

I am a huge proponent of preventive maintenance with things like tuneup hardware, all fluids, cooling system components, belts, cleaning throttle body, etc.

But for the rest of the stuff, let her ride..............you'll generally get a bit of advance notice when things go south.

Gotta keep a keep eye and ear on all parts of your XJ.

And everyone should know where those gauge numbers should sit! Keep an eye on them!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #12
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Thats because of the low tolerances. if the valve clearance was like that on some of the newer 4's and 6's... bam! Toast!
Its not close tolerance it is out right interference. The i6 won't contact a valve even at full lift I'd your break the chain. You have to break a valve spring or retainer for contact to happen.
An interference motor doesn't have that kind of open combustion chamber.

Unread 02-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #13
diskman_1
1992 XJ Cherokee 

If you DO feel like replacing the timing set, make sure you call around first and verify that local stores have it. I was in the middle of my balancer/front cover problem a few weeks ago and NOBODY in town had a timing set for the 4.0. Out of at least 10 parts stores, it was a "special order" item.

I have 250K on my 92 and the chain is extremely loose. I just said screw it and put it together without a new set. Still runs fine.

Bonus video of my chain play.. lol

I also learned that a harmonic balancer puller WILL hose up the threads on your crankshaft so you get to purchase a tap and new bolt. I lucked out. Only lost the first 1/8 of my threads on the crank..
diskman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #14
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

So, while I am replacing my PS system, radiator, water pump, and just about everything else on the front... might as well do this on a motor with 269K?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.