Wheeling and tranny question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Wheeling and tranny question

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 04-04-2008, 12:46 AM   #1
Thmastr

Wheeling and tranny question

This question is mainly for those of you who have multiple Jeeps.

I ask this because every car feels a bit different, and even though you might drive a manual transmission car, if you borrow your buddy's to wheel it might be a little different..

Do you find that there is an advantage when you are out wheeling to have a Manual transmission, or an automatic transmission?

What do you prefer?

Do any of you chose to have a manual transmission as a daily driver?

Thmastr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2008, 01:08 AM   #2
mattbred
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I chose to have a manual tranny for a daily driver simply because it's more fun! You get to choose your shift points, power when you need it, etc.

I don't think wheeling would be a problem if your gearing is deep enough, youre in first, and 4-LOW. But on the occasion you do stall it, while almost vertical on a rock ledge, youre kinda ****ed.

Otherwise I do like manuals. Can't stand an auto tranny shifting for me, bleh.
mattbred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2008, 01:14 AM   #3
Mudhound0530
2009 JK Wrangler 

my stock manual MJ is kinda a PITA when driving offroad. I consider myself skillfull enough to handle but i dont even have an E brake so that trick is not an option...
94 Cherokee
Mudhound0530 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2008, 01:26 AM   #4
Guswut
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I've taken both manual and auto Jeeps off roading and have driven both on-road. I picked an auto (even after having a perfectly good manual just go past me because of my choice) as I was going to be using it as a daily driver and one of the things I really don't like is getting stuck in traffic and needing to play the three-foot dance with the soccer mum in front of me slamming on her brakes at any random time she pleases.

Off road the manual gives you more control of your gears (as well as slightly taller gears it felt like) but you can do the same thing with the 1-2 control to stay in first gear (and you can wire a switch to get you into second while in 1-2). It'd seem a bit more complicated when you are rock crawling, but I think it would have an added advantage of better gear control.

Then there is the gas mileage debate that is undying. I've noticed a difference of one to two miles per gallon in the manual as opposed to the automatic (your mileage WILL vary though) which wasn't a good enough reason to forgo the comfort of not needing to worry about the clutch.

The way I see it, I want a manual on a vehicle that I'm going to be going fast or quick in. On my motorcycle it's awesome as timing your shifts means a lot especially through turns (or more specifically NOT through turns). If it was an automatic it wouldn't be nearly as fun to ride in my opinion. That said, my Jeep is not designed for massive speed or being really quick. It's a strong, powerful, and reliable vehicle that I can use to get to most any camping stop I might want to go to (and some I really don't want to go to but I only figure that out AFTER I get there!).

Find some people that own the different types and get them to let you to drive them around. Heck, if you live in North Cali. (as opposed to South Cali.) I'll let you drive my auto around and I'll grab a manual that is the company car (we'll find a nice parking lot as it's not insured for anything but myself and the boss, heh). They are both 1996, so you can get a chance to feel the two out.

Peace!
Unread 04-04-2008, 01:41 AM   #5
jtvl5
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Rocking the jeep back and forth by quickly putting the jeep in first and then reverse has gotten me out of a lot of stuck situations (especially in the snow). I just don't know if you could do this with an automatic.
jtvl5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2008, 01:51 AM   #6
Guswut
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvl5 View Post
Rocking the jeep back and forth by quickly putting the jeep in first and then reverse has gotten me out of a lot of stuck situations (especially in the snow). I just don't know if you could do this with an automatic.
Works fine for me (I had to do the same with some fun mud).
Unread 04-08-2008, 07:44 PM   #7
Thmastr

hm interesting responses.

I whent with a manual tranmission for my first car cause well.. I was coming from manual transmissions with motorcycles and felt that I would have more control.

Ofcourse I was thinking this when I was looking at a car, with the option of having fun! I then realized that I might have made a mistake getting a manual tranny since well the whole uphill starting can be an issue. (the most powerful brake should be a brake operated with the hand like with motorcycles!)

I do agree that riding a motorcycle is much more fun than riding a scooter, and deppending on what you ride there might not be a reacon to even shift!

I have been practicing and have gotten to the point where I am confident enough to handle a manual transmission off road, so I will be going out on the dirt soon.. i hope..
Thmastr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.