Wheel Spacers??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Wheel Spacers???

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 10-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
OMJinTOL
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wheel Spacers???

I have a 99 XJ with a 2" lift. I'm getting a great deal on a set of 265/75/15 on canyon rims. Do I need wheels spacers? Are there any handling advantages by using them if you don't need them. I'm new to mods on my Jeep, so any help is appreciated.

OMJinTOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
XJcruiser
1999 XJ Cherokee 

they may rub the stock LCAs, but you can always just adjust the steering limits. They do affect handling, but not that much. Its more strain on the steering and bearings though.
Unread 10-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wheel spacers are used to correct the backspacing of wheels, generally to fit larger tires without rubbing. They introduce issues of their own, like doubling the number of lug nuts you have to torque and making sure they don't loosen up, as well as added leverage and stress on the wheel bearings. Lots of people run them without issue, but if you don't need them, they offer added complexity without any advantages.

I don't know the specs of canyon rims so I can't comment on whether or not you'll need spacers, but if you don't, I wouldn't recommend running them.
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
OMJinTOL
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the feedback!
OMJinTOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
XJcruiser
1999 XJ Cherokee 

canyons= 15x8 w/5.25"BS
Unread 10-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

If you maintain them properly, and i would suggest ones that are hubcentric, they can get you teh same result as getting a tire with less backspace.

Same strain on the hubs and bearings as going with another wheel. Some people will try to sell you on a world of evil spacer voodoo, but if you look at the physics of it, a good quality one will do much the same. Dont get any that do not have their own lugs, torque them correctly, and check them after installation and running, like you would any other hardware.
Unread 10-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #7
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I would add that the cost of good spacers may be more than getting a good set of rims with the proper backspacing. There is also tire installation and balancing to consider.

Could it be a good stopgap? maybe.
Unread 10-30-2011, 11:38 PM   #8
Planetcat
2004 WJ 

I run the Rough Country 1.5" spacers on my '90 XJ. 30x9.5R15's on OE limited wheels (not sure what they're called - the BBS style ones). Anyways, they rubbed like crazy in the front when turning. Spacers cured the problem and gave me a wider stance. I run them on my WJ too. I highly recommend them for larger tires on stock rims, due to the deep backspacing. The RC's and Spidertrax ones are well made, and if torqued down properly with red locktite, won't cause any problems.
Unread 10-30-2011, 11:52 PM   #9
Wearingthin
2001 XJ Cherokee 

OMG your axles are gonna crack in half if you use spacers and there are so many parts that you'll go crazy and postalize the nearest shopping center ahhhhhhhh!!!!!

Seriously though. Spacers are the only way I was able to use my Moabs on my size tires. Locktite the *****es and you're good to go. Check em when you rotate your tires and you check your other lugs, takes you an extra 10 seconds a hub.

Spacers don't put anymore strain on your components than a set of similarly backspaced rims.

Its like the difference between a diaphragm and a condom, two different ways to attack the same problem

My Build Thread
Wearingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Why red loctite?

Ive seen it recommended lots of places, but every steering component I have pulled stock from jeep was held together with correct torque and blue locktite.

Red is for when you never want to get it apart again.
Blue is for when you just want a bit of heat to get it off there again.
Purple / green is for minor vibration resistance.

Anyone point to more than "I just heard it" or "better safe than sorry" argument? Thinking about it, i never loctit-ed my wheels, have you? What about when you need to do something like... change breaks, or some trail repair? Pulling out the torch when out there, and then having to swap out now annealed components?
Unread 10-31-2011, 08:13 AM   #11
oldmanscherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearingthin View Post
Spacers don't put anymore strain on your components than a set of similarly backspaced rims.
This ^

Spacers on stock wheels give you the back spacing of most aftermarket wheels. Either way you need the backspacing to fit the bigger wheels properly without them being tucked into the wheel wells to much. I ran my 4.5 lift with the 32 x 11.50s without spacers on stock wheels for a while. It worked, I had to adjust the steering bumps, and the rear tires were about 3/4 of an inch from the springs. After the spacers they fit so much better and the truck had more of a stable stance.
4.5 inch RC lift
32 11.5 bfg muds
oldmanscherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
Planetcat
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Why red loctite?
Spidertrax provided a tube of red locktite with their spacers, so I put it on the rough country ones too. In reality, I think it's just extra precaution, because the nuts are flanged and seat tight into the aluminum spacer, torqued at 90 lbs. There really is no reason to remove the spacers unless you are pulling the axle shafts out or getting a wheel with a shallower back spacing. Maybe to do the rear drum brakes they might have to be removed, but not on disc brakes.
Unread 10-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
cbordea
1998 XJ Cherokee 

wouldn't you need to remove the spacer to replace the hub/bearing?
cbordea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Or to replace a rotor. Or a busted axelshaft.

Last one is less likely.
Unread 10-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #15
Planetcat
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbordea View Post
wouldn't you need to remove the spacer to replace the hub/bearing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Or to replace a rotor. Or a busted axelshaft.

Last one is less likely.
Yeah, probably replacing brake pads is the only thing you can do without taking them off. I've never had to do anything but brakes on my jeeps, but I guess it's inevitable.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.