Whats wrong with my 1997 XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Whats wrong with my 1997 XJ

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #1
subliminal
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Whats wrong with my 1997 XJ

I have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee I6 with an automatic. On my way to work this morning my jeep began to not run right, It did not want to go over 55 and I would have to keep my foot on the floor just to keep it at 50,the check engine light began flashing and there was a very faint metallic sounding scraping sound. I limped it to my work and after I shut the jeep off the passenger compartment began to fill up with a little smoke. I popped the hood and saw no signs of smoke or melted wiring under the hood, I checked the fuse box and saw no signs of overheating or melted fuses and I tried to look for any burnt wiring in the inside of the vehicle that I could see without taking the dash apart and I saw none.

I have had an intermittent code for an 02 sensor for months and last week it did not want to start when warm, I ran the codes and it was giving me a code 54 which I read on here usually means the pickup coil aka camshaft sensor. I replaced the sensor and it was starting again and now this happens. The codes I am getting as of right now are 5 code 43's and one code 54. I just started it back up a few minutes ago and it appears to be running fine sitting in the parking lot there is no stuttering and the rpm's seem to go up smoothly. Anyone have any ideas of other things I need to check?

Unread 04-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Your 1997 has OBD-II diagnostics, and it is trying to tell you what is wrong. Download the Check Engine Light Trouble codes using an OBD-II code reader. Most auto parts stores will loan you a code reader. Write down the codes and Google them or post them here.

2 digit OBD-I codes are nearly useless for diagnostics.

A blinking check engine light (CEL) is a major issue that needs immediate attention and continued driving with a blinking check engine light can significantly damage your emissions systems. Either fix it immediately or stop driving if the the CEL is blinking

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.