whats up with my heater - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > whats up with my heater

Steinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 12-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
brettgorringe32
2001 XJ Cherokee 

whats up with my heater

My heater doesn't switch to different locations of air for a min or 2 and it doesn't blow hot air. It blows kinda warm air

brettgorringe32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

There are two separate control systems invovled here.

The "different locations" are your "MODE SELECT" functions controlled by the center knob on the heater control panel. Those are all vacuum operated, and are not instantaneous upon moving selector knob (may take 1-2 seconds to react).

The TEMPERATURE control is an electric stepper motor connected to the shaft on the bottom of the "Blend door" on the heater box. This motor is located on the heater box directly above the transmission tunnel. It can be remove without touching anything else and confirmed to function. If it is OK, then the blend door itself is jammed/broken and requires the heater box to be removed to correct the issue.
2000 XJ 3" lift -- Australian Ford Big Brakes up front, rock rails, ZJ rear discs (with WORKING parking brake), C4x4 rear bumper/tire carrier, Hella H4 headlights, IPF driving lights, OEM skid plates, OME springs/shocks, JKS LCA's, JKS Sway Bar links.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 01:14 AM   #3
holysirsalad
1999 XJ Cherokee 

^^ Spot on

The directionality is most likely the result of weak vacuum. Check for vacuum leaks under the hood.
holysirsalad is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.