Whats do bad rear axel bearings sound like? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Whats do bad rear axel bearings sound like?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #16
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Did you ever resolve this issue?

2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #17
RamboPants
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Took it to a guy yesterday and let him listen to it and he said its nowhere near the point of tearing it down and rebuilding it. We opened it and he checked it out real good and nothing was loose or binding or anything. We did find some tiny specs of metal, it was pretty much like glitter so he sprayed it down with kerosene for about an 1 and cleaned it up real good. We refilled it
with lucas 80-90 and some lucas oil stabilizer for diffs and trans cases.
RamboPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #18
RamboPants
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Still sounds like **** though............I mostly noticed when Im coasting to a stop or when i have it jacked up both wheels off the ground in Drive, 1-2,3 not as bad in R
RamboPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 01:52 AM   #19
mikecote24

old thread but maybe someone will see this. I have a sound coming from the back almost like a tire rubbing but its not. Its not a clunking.it gets loud when you get to about 15mph and gets louder the faster you go. Putting it in neutral doesn't make a difference. i have no play in the tires but i havent ruled out wheel bearings. When i have it jacked up and someone puts it in drive the noise is pretty much gone. Does that mean i can rule out pinion bearings because thats been what i was thinking. Any suggestions? thanks
mikecote24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #20
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Still differential bearings.

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 06:41 AM   #21
Weebur
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecote24 View Post
old thread but maybe someone will see this. I have a sound coming from the back almost like a tire rubbing but its not. Its not a clunking.it gets loud when you get to about 15mph and gets louder the faster you go. Putting it in neutral doesn't make a difference. i have no play in the tires but i havent ruled out wheel bearings. When i have it jacked up and someone puts it in drive the noise is pretty much gone. Does that mean i can rule out pinion bearings because thats been what i was thinking. Any suggestions? thanks
Just some general info on bearing noise:

Pinion bearings have a high pitch noise (because the pinion gear rotates faster than the carrier). Drive the vehicle and put it under load, if the noise occurs the source is the rear pinion bearing. If the noise occurs while coasting then the front bearing is the source.

Worn carrier bearings usually produce a low pitch noise that is usually present constantly and varies only with vehicle speed.

Axle shaft bearing can produce vibration and noise that will change when the bearings are under load. To check, drive the vehicle and turn sharply to the left and right. This will load one side and unload the other. The noise on the side that is under load will increase, conversely, the unloaded side noise will decrease or go away. When the damage is slight the noise will usually not be noticeable at speeds above 30 mph.
Weebur is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.