What's causing this noise? (Video) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > What's causing this noise? (Video)

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
leichte

What's causing this noise? (Video)

There has been a noise coming from the front passenger side of my 87 Cherokee. I have replaced the water pump and the fan clutch. The noise is still there. I'm leaning towards the a/c compressor. Any thoughts?

Also, what's causing the noise that starts out high rpm and then drops at the very beginning of the video. Is that a vacuum leak or is it normal?

leichte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Here's my video on the same type of noise...it was my distributor. Truck ran fine but that sound persisted until I changed the dist.

If the compressor is working and the belt isn't shredding, I'd look at the dist. Put a stethoscope on it.
Unread 05-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
440_Magnum
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Its probably the idler pulley bearing, but it could also be the compressor clutch bearing (the compressor bearings aren't even turning unless the clutch is engaged, which it obviously isn't in that video).

To isolate a bad bearing on a belt driven accessory, you pretty much have to remove the belt and spin each driven pulley by hand until you find the one that feels rough or has obvious play in it. You can also use an engine stethoscope (or a piece of rubber heater hose works fairly well) and touch it to the mounting bracket of each accessory. Problem with that is that the sound conducts through all the brackets and its hard to find the one that's really the loudest.
2001 Cherokee Sport automatic 4x2 (sold)
440_Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
BUSA
1999 XJ Cherokee 

[quote="Paradise XJ"]Here's my video on the same type of noise...it was my distributor. Truck ran fine but that sound persisted until I changed the dist.

If the compressor is working and the belt isn't shredding, I'd look at the dist. Put a stethoscope on
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
leichte

I took the belt off and the noise went away. So that rules out the distributor.

Also, checked the ps pump and idler pulley and both okay.

I guess that leaves the alternator and a/c.

I'm thinking maybe the a/c clutch bearing. The noise happens regardless of the a/c on or not. The noise is constant and increases/decreases with the speed of the engine.

Last edited by leichte; 05-31-2012 at 02:54 PM..
Unread 06-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
leichte

And the winner is........alternator. The bearings had gone bad. Replaced it and everything is silent again.

Tags
compressor , engine , Fan clutch , noise , water pump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.