What's the best year of the cherokee - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > What's the best year of the cherokee

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Reply
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #46
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 1,993
"Sport" (or other bogus trim badges) was something automakers starting doing to trick people into thinking they were getting something more than a base model when in actuality, the "Sports" WERE the base models. Before "Sport" was the thing, badges like "SE" were used for the same reason: because consumers were easy to trick into buying and/or spending a little more on a Cherokee SE or Cherokee Sport instead of "just" a Cherokee. And because if they called their base model a "Sport," then their base model would look that much more appealing than a competitor's similar vehicle lacking the fancy "Sport" badge. See "placebo effect." A Jeep Cherokee Sport is a base model. If you've seen some with additional options, that's what they are--base models with optional equipment added.

Heck, even the use of the word "Limited" as a top-level trim package wasn't arbitrary and was chosen to trick consumers into thinking that "Limiteds" were actually limited in supply making them seem more rare and desirable. Yes, even today there are still people who think their "Acme Car Limited" is actually a limited edition. It's not a coincidence that "Limited" popped-up as a trim package across multiple auto manufacturers around the same time. Consumers can be very stupid and gullible, and they figure that out and exploit it.

Like Azzy said, XJs were a mess; the trim packages wrote very little equipment into stone and were basically just cosmetic trim packages and probably only existed because that's what the average, uninformed automotive consumer expected: a hierarchy of trim packages so that they could size themselves up against other Cherokee owners and feel like their money was being well spent. I have a 96 Cherokee Country. What does that really mean? It means I get stupid plastic cladding on my rockers, 2-tone paint, plastic with low dpi woodgrain prints on the interior, front seats with adjustable headrests, and lace wheels (probably). Big whoop.


Disclaimer: not all "Sports" in the history of automobiles are bogus base models. The Subaru Outback Sport comes to mind as a vehicle where not only does the "Sport" badge mean something real, it actually makes the vehicle a completely different MODEL than the Outback (Outbacks were actually based on Subbie Legacies while the OB Sports were Imprezas).

mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #47
S8NNG8
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 3,923
I got 215K on my Forester Sport and that thing is still kickin' ***! Amazing power from a flat4.
__________________
D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #48
S8NNG8
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 3,923
I see what you're saying though, Cherokee sports were all black trim. I had only painted the grill at this point.

forumrunner_20130318_115714.jpg

But now, a few things have changed

forumrunner_20130318_115943.jpg
__________________
D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #49
Nubster
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Romney, WV
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Like Azzy said, XJs were a mess; the trim packages wrote very little equipment into stone and were basically just cosmetic trim packages and probably only existed because that's what the average, uninformed automotive consumer expected: a hierarchy of trim packages so that they could size themselves up against other Cherokee owners and feel like their money was being well spent. I have a 96 Cherokee Country. What does that really mean? It means I get stupid plastic cladding on my rockers, 2-tone paint, plastic with low dpi woodgrain prints on the interior, front seats with adjustable headrests, and lace wheels (probably). Big whoop.
Didn't the Country also give like a 1" lift? Or was that the Up Country?
__________________
My 2002 WJ Build Thread

"When I Die, Bury me in my Jeep. 'Cause it's never been in a hole it couldn't get out of!"

White Jeep Club #132
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #50
Motorcharge
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 11,758
Up Country was a factory parts option, not a trim level.
__________________
|Project Motörcharge|
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #51
91YJ2012
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Farrmington, Ar
Posts: 43
I like my 96....it has 173k and it still runs good.
__________________
91 YJ, 2.5l, 5spd, 1.5" superlift, 31" tires w/ M/T Classic 2', customer cold air intake w/throttle body spacer
DD 96 XJ 4.0L, custom cold air intake w/throttle body spacer
Road??? We dont need no stinking road!!!
91YJ2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #52
DoctorTim
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 2,466
96/99 depending on what body-style you like. there is very little difference quality/longevity with 96 vs 99.
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/96-xj-build-hybrid-1311863/

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #53
jeepnick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 97
I've had my '99 going on 14 years. We have also had a '99 GC in our family since new. The Cherokee has been much more dependable and trouble free than the GC. My '99 has never been garaged and is only on its second battery since new. I have read and heard for years the '99 is the best year. I believe it! I know it is the last year of the preferred front axle and the better cylinder head. The motor has a distributor rather than the newer expensive and more troublesome coil packs. Many things are carry over from previous years that have proved reliable.
jeepnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #54
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Longview, WA
Posts: 3,483
In my opinion, 98, 99, and first 1/3 of year 2000.

Not sure about 97.

Later 2000 and 2001 are also excellent, except for low pinion front diff, but that's not a problem if you don't lift.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #55
mhall02
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnick View Post
The motor has a distributor rather than the newer expensive and more troublesome coil packs.
Still on the original ignition rail at 227,000 miles so I've had pretty good luck with mine. You are right on the expensive replacement side of things, looks like a new rail is around $100.
__________________
Patriot Blue
2000 Sport 4X4 4.0 inline six, AW-4 Automatic, stock
Original Owner 264,000 miles
mhall02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #56
S8NNG8
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 3,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
"Sport" (or other bogus trim badges) was something automakers starting doing to trick people into thinking they were getting something more than a base model when in actuality, the "Sports" WERE the base models. Before "Sport" was the thing, badges like "SE" were used for the same reason: because consumers were easy to trick into buying and/or spending a little more on a Cherokee SE or Cherokee Sport instead of "just" a Cherokee. And because if they called their base model a "Sport," then their base model would look that much more appealing than a competitor's similar vehicle lacking the fancy "Sport" badge. See "placebo effect." A Jeep Cherokee Sport is a base model.
For the record, my "BASE" model Cherokee Sport has the 4.0 HO, cruise control, air conditioning, and an LSD, ... damn.
__________________
D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #57
moses21
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: hamburg, ny
Posts: 730
Obviously the only good year Cherokee is the 2014.
moses21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #58
S8NNG8
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 3,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by moses21 View Post
Obviously the only good year Cherokee is the 2014.
Yaah! $800 license plates, here I come!
__________________
D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #59
mhall02
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
For the record, my "BASE" model Cherokee Sport has the 4.0 HO, cruise control, air conditioning, and an LSD, ... damn.
We actually ordered our 'Sport' in late '99 from the factory. It was 2nd to the bottom level in model year 2000. The 'Sport' package came with AC, full gauge cluster (no idiot lights) and the 4.0, did not come with cruise but we added it, the LSD could only be added with a 'off-road package' (also incuded tranny cooler and skid plates), we did not add it. We did add a CD player, auto tranny, tinted windows and heated mirrors. It has Federal emissions so only one cat, California emissions had the 3 at that time.

SE package was the base model in 2000 that came with a 4 cylinder, idiot lights, no roof rack, but I think the 4 cylinder and SE package was dropped in the 2001 model year.
__________________
Patriot Blue
2000 Sport 4X4 4.0 inline six, AW-4 Automatic, stock
Original Owner 264,000 miles
mhall02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #60
S8NNG8
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 3,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhall02 View Post

We actually ordered our 'Sport' in late '99 from the factory. It was 2nd to the bottom level in model year 2000. The 'Sport' package came with AC, full gauge cluster (no idiot lights) and the 4.0, did not come with cruise but we added it, the LSD could only be added with a 'towing package' (also incuded tranny cooler and skid plates), we did not add it. We did add a CD player, auto tranny, tinted windows and heated mirrors. It has Federal emissions so only one cat, California emissions had the 3 at that time.

SE package was the base model in 2000 that came with a 4 cylinder, idiot lights, no roof rack, but I think it and the 4 cylinder and SE package was dropped in the 2001 model year.
That's probably cuz the '01's were the be all, end all... It'd be my guess they threw the '01's together with any and all spare parts from the previous years.
__________________
D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.