Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

what are you guys using for a rear tow point?

1K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  mca1977jpsnet 
#1 ·
I'm starting to build my 99 xj sport, and I'm not really sure on what to do for the rear tow point. I don't want to get one of those big ($$$) bumpers with shackles. So is my only option a trailer hitch? I would rather just put a tow hook on. Didn't the up country package have a rear tow hook? When I look at my 'frame' right above the muffler pipe there is three holes that are reinforced and threaded. They are only like that on the passenger side, though. The driver's side has no reinforcement or threads. Could this be from a rear tow hook? Where the heck do I find a rear tow hook anyway? The holes in the above mentioned location are spaced as follows: hole---3 1/4" ---- hole--- 2" --- hole. Any ideas?

#2 ·
I built a rear bumper with a reciever built in that works great
I see reciever hitch as the cheap and strong way out

#4 ·
kmagnuss_2000 said:
Didn't the up country package have a rear tow hook? When I look at my 'frame' right above the muffler pipe there is three holes that are reinforced and threaded. They are only like that on the passenger side, though. The driver's side has no reinforcement or threads. Could this be from a rear tow hook? Where the heck do I find a rear tow hook anyway? The holes in the above mentioned location are spaced as follows: hole---3 1/4" ---- hole--- 2" --- hole. Any ideas?
Not sure. I went for the rear receiver hitch becauce I couldn't find anything for tow hooks locally. And I figured I would one day need to pull something anyway so it made more sense.

The Country package has front tow hooks for sure that mount to the frame underneath the bumper. I know this because I got ahold of a set from a mechanic in the area that pulled them off of a Country. So it's quite possible they came with rear hooks, although I've never seen one myself.

I would guess junk-yards are the first place to start looking, although most of the hooks will probably be damaged by "rear-enders".

#6 ·
kmagnuss_2000 said:
I'm starting to build my 99 xj sport, and I'm not really sure on what to do for the rear tow point. I don't want to get one of those big ($$$) bumpers with shackles. So is my only option a trailer hitch? I would rather just put a tow hook on. Didn't the up country package have a rear tow hook? When I look at my 'frame' right above the muffler pipe there is three holes that are reinforced and threaded. They are only like that on the passenger side, though. The driver's side has no reinforcement or threads. Could this be from a rear tow hook? Where the heck do I find a rear tow hook anyway? The holes in the above mentioned location are spaced as follows: hole---3 1/4" ---- hole--- 2" --- hole. Any ideas?
Those holes that are reinforceed and threaded are from a bracket that slides inside the frame to hold the tailpipe up. It is also the mounting point for a gas tank skid plate or trailer hitch. When i was installing mine I got the same bracket from the dealership that goes on the left side (symetrical to the one that is on the right). To put it in you have to remove the rear bumper. (also take note that the nuts on that bracket are metric so you'll need to get some metric bolts that fit - take the bracket to the hardware store and get the right ones). As for the rear tow hook - there was an OEM tow hook that mounted into that bracket on the left side.. It probably wouldnt fit on the right side with the tailpipe in the way. I've tried finding one but havent had any luck. The front OEM tow hooks seem to be a lot more common than the rear. IMO your best bet for a secure tow point in the rear is to get a class III trailer hitch and put a tow hook or shackle in it. :thumbsup:

#11 ·
I have the factory trailer hitch and it works great for towing anything and everything including my butt when I get stuck.

#12 ·
tow hitch, the way to go.

most aftermarket hitched are rated at 3000-3500 lbs. Both the mopar OEM and accessory class III hitches are rated at 5000 lbs. new mopar OEM hitch is discontinued, but the accessory p#82200706 is still avail but lists for ? $174.00?. You can probably find one used much cheaper. I concure that a hitch and shackle is your best bet. I don't recall ever seeing a factory tow hook on the rear of an XJ. the OEM front tow hooks on the 97-01 XJs were rated at 5500 lbs however.

#13 ·
Drake69 said:
The Country package has front tow hooks for sure that mount to the frame underneath the bumper. I know this because I got ahold of a set from a mechanic in the area that pulled them off of a Country. So it's quite possible they came with rear hooks, although I've never seen one myself.
Thats what I got on mine. There is a nutcert that goes into the frame that it bolts too and there is also a bolt of two that go on the rear crosmember. Its been used many times and is still holding up.

I figured I have no reason to get a hitch so I just picked up the rear tow hook, works great.

#14 ·
Again from JC Whitney, most of the class III's they offer are between 5000-6000lbs. Even most of the hidden hitches are 5000lbs. It's only the XJ hidden hitch thats derated to 3500lbs. I'll take the strongest hitch I can buy. No point in tempting fate. There are plenty of other hitches out there other than Hidden Hitch.

#15 ·
hidden hitch

true that. Hidden hitch is a very good brand. I run their front reciever hitch on my XJ. It is an old 89 w/out hooks so it was cheaper and easier to go w/hidden hitch than Oem style front hooks. Either way they were both rated at 5000 lbs. plus I could run my multi mount up front. I also run hidden hitch on my truck for towing. when it comes to aftermarket hitches, hidden hitch and drawtite reign suppreme.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.