What Year XJ's were Full Time 4x4? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > What Year XJ's were Full Time 4x4?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
lazermule
2001 XJ Cherokee 

What Year XJ's were Full Time 4x4?

So what years of XJ's were full time 4x4? I just bought a 1996 and I would just like to pull it home with my car dolly if possible. I believe if it is a full time 4x4, this may not be possible. Any chance a 1996 is full time?

LM

lazermule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/cherokee-stock-specs-26256/ 84-87 only.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

it was an option from 84-01.

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Non were FULL TIME 4wd that I know of . Some have the 242 transfer case which has a 4FT option, in addition to the 4hi and 4lo. If you are going to tow it put the transfer case into neutral. You should be OK
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
lazermule
2001 XJ Cherokee 

That is kind of what I thought. I didn't look that close when I bought it and the thought crossed my mind when I thought about using the tow dolly.
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
cbordea
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Am I right in saying if it has an automatic tranny that you can't tow with the back wheels on the ground (very far) or it will overheat the tranny? I have that concept in my head from somewhere.
cbordea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
lazermule
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbordea View Post
Am I right in saying if it has an automatic tranny that you can't tow with the back wheels on the ground (very far) or it will overheat the tranny? I have that concept in my head from somewhere.
I would think you could tow it if you put the transfer case in Neutral. The one I will be towing is a 5spd and the trans is junk.

But you are correct, if there is no unlock such as a transfer case, it's not a good idea to tow an auto vehicle very far or very fast.

LM
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

its not about year models its about selec-trac or command trac transfer case. but it SHOULD NOT be in gear at all if you're towing it you should set the tranny and the transfer case to Nuetral.
ps selectrac with fulltime 4x4 will have 4L, N, 2H, 4H, and 4HFT
the command track will not have that fifth option on the shifter (4HFT)
bluejunior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
lazermule
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
its not about year models its about selec-trac or command trac transfer case. but it SHOULD NOT be in gear at all if you're towing it you should set the tranny and the transfer case to Nuetral.
ps selectrac with fulltime 4x4 will have 4L, N, 2H, 4H, and 4HFT
the command track will not have that fifth option on the shifter (4HFT)
Wont be a problem putting the one I'll be towing in neutral, that is the problem, it is stuck in neutral.....

LM
Unread 01-28-2009, 03:17 AM   #10
MrBuick
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazermule View Post

But you are correct, if there is no unlock such as a transfer case, it's not a good idea to tow an auto vehicle very far or very fast.

LM
I found this out the hard way. Nobody had a real answer WHY, so I did it anyways. Put a 96 Caprice up on a tow dolly(had to push it up on there, in the rain.... ), and drove home 300 miles with it behind my Buick. I figured it was hard on the trans. But the trans already had no 3rd or 4th gear. Got it home, got it running the next day, and took it for a drive... Noticed a whine, but thought it was the trans. the whine left if you kept your foot on the gas... I was going over a bridge, and let off the gas as I came down... Both rear tires locked up at 40mph, and I started dumping gear oil all over, as the driveshaft beating the Sh*t out of the mufflers, and rear floor pan.

The Pinion Nut went MIA, and the pinion made great friends with the Posi.

Maybe that is why? After I rebuilt the Rear end with better gears, I just had to laugh.
90 White Cherokee - Traded a 96 Caprice for it.
140k, Rusted body, Bald tires, & non-working 4wd mods. Summit Turbo Muffler. Aussie D30/D35 & posi-lock, waiting to go on.
MrBuick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2009, 03:18 AM   #11
MrBuick
1990 XJ Cherokee 

But, Jeeps are one of the vehicles you can safely tow behind an RV, with the tires on the ground.
90 White Cherokee - Traded a 96 Caprice for it.
140k, Rusted body, Bald tires, & non-working 4wd mods. Summit Turbo Muffler. Aussie D30/D35 & posi-lock, waiting to go on.
MrBuick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2009, 03:25 AM   #12
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gc40 View Post
Non were FULL TIME 4wd that I know of . Some have the 242 transfer case which has a 4FT option, in addition to the 4hi and 4lo. If you are going to tow it put the transfer case into neutral. You should be OK
4FT is FULL TIME.
You're thinking AWD.
Unread 01-29-2009, 02:54 AM   #13
spnkr94
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBuick View Post
I found this out the hard way. Nobody had a real answer WHY, so I did it anyways. Put a 96 Caprice up on a tow dolly(had to push it up on there, in the rain.... ), and drove home 300 miles with it behind my Buick. I figured it was hard on the trans. But the trans already had no 3rd or 4th gear. Got it home, got it running the next day, and took it for a drive... Noticed a whine, but thought it was the trans. the whine left if you kept your foot on the gas... I was going over a bridge, and let off the gas as I came down... Both rear tires locked up at 40mph, and I started dumping gear oil all over, as the driveshaft beating the Sh*t out of the mufflers, and rear floor pan.

The Pinion Nut went MIA, and the pinion made great friends with the Posi.

Maybe that is why? After I rebuilt the Rear end with better gears, I just had to laugh.
You must be on ISSF too, just sold my caprice and bought this xj to build....cheaper on gas so far.
spnkr94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2009, 03:03 AM   #14
LobstahJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ok so what would be the difference between full time and part time in my 95? I have 2wd/4HFT/4HPT/N/4L, where should I have that if I am driving in the snow on the road?
LobstahJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2009, 03:37 AM   #15
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobstahJeep View Post
Ok so what would be the difference between full time and part time in my 95? I have 2wd/4HFT/4HPT/N/4L, where should I have that if I am driving in the snow on the road?
You should be in FT while driving on snowy roads. If you get stuck or need more traction, toss it into PT.

Oh, and if you haven't yet, visit us at www.midcoastjeep.com and www.maine4x4.com if you're interested in wheelin'.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.