Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

what type of transmission fluid?

43K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  badwolf2103 
#1 ·
the Jeep leaked all of my transmission fluid out. i figured out where it was leaking from, the hose from the radiator had come apart. so i fixed that but what type of transmission fluid does the AW4 use??
Thanks,
Jack

#9 ·
4 qt is only the content of the pan when you flush it. If you have had a leak you might have lost more than just the pan capacity. Make sure you check the level frequently after you refill it as the fluid needs to recirculate across the transmission and fill the 'gaps'. The proper procedure to refill is to have the engine running and add the fluid. Check the warm and cold level as level.

It is very important that you use the right fluid (Dex/Merc III as mentionned).

#10 ·
I am pretty sure the weeks between 06-23-2008 when this thread died, and today, jeepjack has figured out 10qts is a bit much.

Why are the Wrangler guys are bumping dead threads ?

#12 ·
Wranglers don't use the AW-4.

A simple SEARCH finds this:

Cherokee Fluid Capacities

Engine Oil
-2.5L (4cyl) - 4.0 Quarts (3.8L)
-4.0L (6cyl) - 6.0 Quarts (5.7L)

Cooling System
-2.5L (4cyl) - 9.0 Quarts (8.5L)
-4.0L (6cyl) - 10.5 Quarts (9.9L)

Automatic Transmission
-4.0L (6cyl) The AW-4 Automatic Transmission uses Transmission Fluid labeled Dexron-III/Mercon.

- Drain and Re-fill = 4 Quarts (3.8L)
- Filter and complete fluid exchange = 8 Quarts (7.8 L)

-2.5L (4cyl) Chrysler/Mopar Automatic Transmissions use ATF+3 or ATF+4 Type 7176

Manual Transmission

Chrysler now recommends the use of 10w-30 motor oil

-AX-5 5 speed manual - 3.3 quarts 75W-90 GL3 or GL4 (NOT GL5 or GL5 compatible as incorrectly stated in some Owners Manuals)
-AX-15 5 speed manual - 3.32 quarts 75W-90 GL3 or GL4 (NOT GL5 or GL5 compatible as incorrectly stated in some Owners Manuals)
-NV3550 5 speed manual - 2.1 quarts Mopar fluid part # 04874464AA or Snychromax (meets Mopar MS-9224 specs)

The NLGI specs are important - typical NLGI GL-5 gear oil carries added sulphur used as an Extreme Pressure (EP) lubricant. Especially when heated, sulphur is antagonistic to yellow (copper-based) metals - and the synchronizer rings and any bushings in the AX-15 are bronze. Most synthetic gear oils are rated GL-5 and are listed as "safe for use with yellow metals."

Unlike API motor oil specifications (to API Service SL/CJ-4,) NLGI Service specifications are not reverse-compatible.

If you want to use a synthetic (RedLine, AmsOil, etc.) either check the back of the bottle or check the manufacturer's website to make sure it's safe for use with yellow metal - using sulphur-bearing gear oils usually results in draining your synchronizer rings at your next fluid change...

Transfer Case
-NV231 Part-Time (Command-Trac) - 2.2 Pints (1.0L) Dexron III/Mercon

-NV242 Full-Time (Selec-Trac) - 2.85 Pints (1.3L) Dexron III/Mercon

Front Axle
-Dana 30 - 2.5 Pts (1.2L) SAE 75W-90

Rear Axle
-When equipped, Trac-Lok Limited Slip rear axles require 4 ounces
of Friction Modifier Additive

-Dana 35 - 3.5 Pints (1.66L) SAE 75W-90
-Dana 44 - 4.0 Pints (1.89L) SAE 75W-90
-Chrysler 8.25 - 4.4 Pints (2.0L) SAE 75W-90

For towing and off-road use SAE 75-140 synthetic

#16 ·
Gear oil is gear oil, any brand will do. I prefer brand names and most auto parts store have several to choose from. Valvoline and Mobile are common but I have used the generic stuff from the Farm and Fleet store also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.