What is a transmission range sensor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > What is a transmission range sensor?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
PillowPants
1998 XJ Cherokee 

What is a transmission range sensor?

when the engine is not at temp and I drive in the D position on the shifter I can usually get a CEL and the code comes up as transmission range sensor when I get it checked at autozone. Also when the light first comes on, the torque converter won't lock when it get to high rpm in 3rd. If I turn the car off and then on, it will then lock up but the CEL stays on for a few days. If I let it warm up then drive it I never get the light to come on. help?

PillowPants is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
PillowPants
1998 XJ Cherokee 

bump still looking for answer
Unread 03-31-2008, 11:40 PM   #3
cheapfix
1991 XJ Cherokee 

"Transmission range sensor" = neutral safety switch maybe??

Also: TC lockup (I think) is speed dependent (will not lock up under about 40mph), so maybe a problem with the speed sensor on the transfer case?

Not sure how the temperature is playing in to this problem...

Have you done any transmission work recently? I would start with a troublshoot of the NSS (haynes manual has a good procedure), then check the speed sensor connection... sorry I can't be of more help, but I am just throwing two cents out there.
Unread 03-31-2008, 11:58 PM   #4
bikedude189
1993 XJ Cherokee 

sounds like the sensor that activates the "part time" light when in 4x. not sure why that might throw a code tho...
2" LIFT
BFG A/T'S
bikedude189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 12:21 AM   #5
cheapfix
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikedude189 View Post
sounds like the sensor that activates the "part time" light when in 4x. not sure why that might throw a code tho...
Yeah, "range" sensor sounds more like transfer case - it could be included in the engine ECU and trans control unit loops to prevent the TC from going into lockup for some reason - not wanting to lockup while running in part-time 4WD mode, maybe?
Unread 04-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
PillowPants
1998 XJ Cherokee 

the code is TRANSMISSION range sensor........
well I know it locks up the TC (torque converter) at around 45 ( in D) if I am keeping the pedal constant. I don't drive in 4x4 mode at all unless it calls for it. I am wondering if this is the same thing as a neutral safety switch. and maybe the connections inside the switch are going bad and that the heat of the engine running and trans getting warm allows the connections to work better. its a sure thing to come on if I put it in D and drive it from a fresh start and the engine is not at temp, usually within 1-2 minutes. If I put it in the 3rd gear position I can drive around until temp and it will never come on. when the CEL comes on the first time and when I get to 45 or shall I say even highway speed it will not lock the torque converter (Over Drive) until I switch the key off and on again. of course the CEL will stay on until it goes out after a set number of cycles or miles it seems. I don't think this related to a transfer case problem at all I gotta say but if there is a jeep tech here I'm open to theories.
Unread 04-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #7
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i had the same code come up when i ran it at auto zone

i brought it to my tech class the day after an ran it through the modis an ran testes with that, it came out as being a bad neutral safety switch, the switch was so clogged up with mud that the contacts on the inside were boggered

I took the whole switch out, cleaned it out really well an put it back in, hasn't stopped working yet

A way to check is to see if your reverse lights come on when your in reverse, if they don't the switch is definitely bad. All the switch does it tell the comp what gear you've selected with the shifter ( there only on automatics) sometimes it may be drive thats bad, sometimes it may be reverse, or park, but i would do the general reverse test first. There a bit of a pain in the *** to get out, new there about 250$, on ebay you can score one for less then half that. I justs didn't bother with a replace an just repaired

hope this helps
SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
cheapfix
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapfix View Post
"Transmission range sensor" = neutral safety switch maybe??

Run the diagnostic procedure on the NSS when the vehicle is cold, then again when it is warm and see what you come up with!
Unread 04-03-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapfix View Post

Run the diagnostic procedure on the NSS when the vehicle is cold, then again when it is warm and see what you come up with!
the switch is a plastic piece with copper contacts along the shifter, it won't make a difference
SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
KLRTom
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Chances are you are actually getting two codes:P0700 and P0705. I believe P0700 is the general transmission code and P0705 is the transmission range code. Your problem is almost certainly a bad neutral safety switch. You can get a new one for $275 or more or you can take the old one apart and clean it up in about 30 minutes. Search this forum for the procedure.
KLRTom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.