what should i get for a winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > what should i get for a winch

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
whiteys_red_XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

what should i get for a winch

hi i need some help on buying a winch i dont know what to look for i know i need a pulling stenght of at least 6000 lbs but what brands r decent o and i am on a budget so i dont have to much to spend thanks

96 xj 3.5 rustys lift, 33x10.50x15 BFG MT, t case skid plate, front tow hooks, open front and rear diff, NP-242 T-Case 1 in drop, AW4 transmission, dana 30HP, chyrsler 8.25 stock gears, K&N drop in air filter, flowmaster 40 series, poweraid throtle body spacer
whiteys_red_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
Jeepxj5209

2001 XJ Cherokee 

i'd go with atleat 8k lbs

Best 100% bang for your buck in my opinion is to get a harbor freight road shock 10k lb winch when its on sale

think i paid 299 plus tax on sale, then got the 2 yr warrenty, covers everything but if you crash and destroy it. when the 2 yrs gets close, burn it up, then get a free one and renew your warrenty for 50 more dollars
Unread 02-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
Wearingthin
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Make sure you have a proper winch bumper

My Build Thread
Wearingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Jeepxj5209

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearingthin View Post
Make sure you have a proper winch bumper
yeah or you could go cheap and get a hitch mounting plate and even a front hitch and go that way
Unread 02-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Reese, Draw-Tite and Hidden all make front hitchs for the XJ. That and a winch mounted to a hitch plate and you're good. I would get the Smittybilt XRC8 winch. Good bang for your buck. 4Wheel Parts has it for $299 and free shipping.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
avengerdude27
1994 ZJ 

im a big advocate of warn and ramsey, neither of mine ever let me down
avengerdude27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
whiteys_red_XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

a buddy of mine says he will sell me his warn 6000lb for 250 is that a good deal but I see that smitty 8000 for 300 I think I migt lean towards the smitty
96 xj 3.5 rustys lift, 33x10.50x15 BFG MT, t case skid plate, front tow hooks, open front and rear diff, NP-242 T-Case 1 in drop, AW4 transmission, dana 30HP, chyrsler 8.25 stock gears, K&N drop in air filter, flowmaster 40 series, poweraid throtle body spacer
Unread 02-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteys_red_XJ View Post
a buddy of mine says he will sell me his warn 6000lb for 250 is that a good deal but I see that smitty 8000 for 300 I think I migt lean towards the smitty
I would not get anything under 8K. Remember, the rating is on the LAST WRAP of cable. Also, an XJ mired in the mud can require more than 6K of force to extract. You can invest another 100 or so in a snatch block to double your power, but that also halves the distance your cable can reach.

My Ramsey 8.5K is adequate but I wouldn't mind having something a little bigger.

Michael
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
Mike1084
1979 CJ7 

Rule of thumb is 1.5 X vehicle weight, minimum. However if you have ever been stuck in mud it takes a lot of pulling power to overcome that suction so that minimum may not get you out. For most of us it comes down to money. With a winch you pretty much get what you pay for.
Mike1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Rough country has a new line of winches out that sound decent, take a risk on that the vendor here on jf will give you a 10% discount and i think free shipping

Most of all thanks too Ian Johnson and the xtreme off-road crew for all their work, and 4 wheel to heal for their part in it too.
egodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #11
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Warn M8000.

Although I haven't found a deal that comes with spelling and grammar lessons...
Unread 02-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #12
whiteys_red_XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Another question I have is if the winch says its waterproof does that mean it submerciable and still work and if a whinch isn't water proof and it gets put under water will it no longer work?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.