What should a 4.0 rebuild cost? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > What should a 4.0 rebuild cost?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
xorg

What should a 4.0 rebuild cost?

Developed a small knock and figured with all the money I have invested in this thing to have the motor pulled and rebuilt. Very minor knock but a knock nonetheless. Assuming pistons and everything else checks out what should it cost? Also, If anyones near Chicago that can do this or knows someone let me know.

xorg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #2
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

And there is the issue.
You mention full rebuild, then say "assuming pistons and everything else checks out".
I have been saying for quite a while now that one persons version of a rebuild is not the same as another persons version of a rebuild.
I will not rebuild a motor with the same pistons in it.
ALL my motors get the crank ground, bored out with new pistons and rings, all new bearings, deck the block, pressure test and skim the head(s), new oil and water pumps, new camshaft and lifters, line bored for the main bearings, and so on.
That comes to @$800-900 in machine work alone, and you haven't bought any parts yet.
Rebuild "kits" can be had for reasonable money with name brand parts inside in most cases.
You could always buy a "remanufactured" motor and keep your fingers crossed. 99% of those places will only replace something if it is completely shot though.
Doing it yourself/having it done for you, is the way to go for a rig that you plan on keeping a long time. That way you can spec out the build from start to finish.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
macktheripper
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I bought a crate motor for my XJ from the dealer. I dickered with him and I got him down to $1,100 for a long block. You can't do a GOOD re-build for that price, plus it came with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty.
macktheripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

a good rebuild should be at least 1300 if you're expecting any quality. i found a shop that would rebuild mine for 1000 but i found a review online that said they started getting engine problems 30K after the rebuild.

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
Luke94XJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

You could look for a low mileage junkyard engine, that should run around $500.
Luke94XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
xj4thewin
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I just rebuilt my 4.0, after machine work, master rebuild kit, and additional parts, water pump, alternator etc, I just spent about 1800. Its worth it to me, I did the 4.8L stroker rebuild, a brand new spankin engine with more power? whats not to love.

My XJ Build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/xj4tw-92-build-up-1182746/
xj4thewin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

$1300 - $2000 depending on a lot of variables. Be sure you get at least 2, better to get 3 quotes before making any decision.

And as mentioned, consider a plug and play salvage yard engine. To each their own on these decisions.

A very minor knock may not necessitate a rebuild. The knock could be a bit of piston slap or valve noise; neither of these uncommon with the 4.0

What I recommend for these is to DRIVE IT, and keep an ear to it. If the noise gets no worse, keep driving it. I have seen many, many 4.0 engines run for tens of thousands of miles with a bit of a knock.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
1CVPaul
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Just had mine rebuilt locally. Took it to a shop that I knew was meticulous and used quality parts. $ 2000.00 out the door. Runs like a top - well worth it. However I had done about everything else (trany, clutch, rear end etc...) already so it made sense to do the engine.
Unread 08-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
jeepdog5
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you pull the engine yourself ballpark around $1000-1300. For a turn key $1800-2000
jeepdog5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.