Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

what's that sound?

656 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  substrate001 
#1 ·
this is probably too general of a question, but i'm not very mechanically inclined. anyways, when i start my XJ, it has a pecking sound for about 2 seconds. sounds like it's in the top of the engine. if anyone can steer me in the right direction, it'd be greatly appreciated. it's a 92, 4.0, 184,000 miles, hope that helps.

#5 ·
I dont think ive ever heard a 4.0 not make the noise mines got 23,000 miles on it
and its done it since it was new. :wave:

#7 ·
your lifters are worn, there filling up with oil for those 2 seconds and your push rods are making that sound slapping on the valve rockers.
once the lifters have oil in them noise goes away, all is good but for those 2 seconds you have no oil in them so wear will be more prominant in them.

#8 ·
Yeah, ALL Jeeps make noises! I had an XJ w/ about 60K on the odometer, and it did the same. One w/ 88K that never did. Current XJ has 214K, and does it only when it feels like it! All I know is that they will run a LONG time if you take care of them. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.