What is that rusty metal thing going to gas tank? See pic? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > What is that rusty metal thing going to gas tank? See pic?

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What is that rusty metal thing going to gas tank? See pic?

Edited in Later: Issue answered and resolved. Thanks guys!

===

Please give me some advice.

My cousin wants to replace it (because almost rusted through), but we don't know what it is. Is it a gas tank breather hose maybe? Is it the fuel line?

It connects from gas tank to a cannister that's to the right of the heat shield (see pic).

We need to know what it is so I know what part to buy.

Please see the picture. See the rusty metal hose or pipe going between gas tank and a cannister. What is that?

Note: You can't really see the cannister in the pic, but its to the right of the heat shield.

underside-jeep.jpg  
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
calvin196
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I do believe that's a breather... Does it go to that box under your frame? If so you may get away with replacing it with brake line and bending it to shape. From here it seems as though the line goes into rubber sleeves, if so, you could easily go to autozone or the equivalence and have them see what metal line will fit in a sleeve over that. If it doesn't fit you can always return it?

Let me know.. I'm interested also.
calvin196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I want to replace it before it rusts through and water gets in my gas. If in fact it is a breather hose.
Unread 08-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
XJaySC
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I just looked at mine and the only metal line that runs like that is the fuel line. (Didn't look long due to rain) It runs down the frame to the engine. I'd say trace it from start to finish before going further. Finding out what it connects to would be a good start.
XJaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just replaced the one on my GFs cherokee. It had rusted away and cracked in two spots and was throwing a code for a gross EVAP leak. I replaced it with fuel rated hose and zip tied it up
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
I just replaced the one on my GFs cherokee. It had rusted away and cracked in two spots and was throwing a code for a gross EVAP leak. I replaced it with fuel rated hose and zip tied it up
What is "it"? Is "it" the bteather hose or the fuel line?
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The rusty metal tube/hose in the pic connects to gas tank on one end, and connects to a metal cannister on the other end. The metal cannister is to the right of the small heat shield. See pic.

What does the cannister do? What is the metal tube/hose?

What does the small heat shield protect?

See pic in OP.
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

From my understanding, the "canister" is part of the evap system. Something to do with pumping the gas fumes from the tank up into the engine to be burned off (instead of escaping into the atmosphere.

I wouldn't call it a heat shield... Maybe more of a "skid plate".
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:33 AM   #9
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Yeap, part of the emissions system. As mentioned it is used to burn the gas fumes in the engine instead of releasing 'em straight into the atmosphere.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 01:15 AM   #10
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It's almost rusted through. I want to replace.

Should I order a Mopar part, or go to auto store for part, or just use some generic brake line? Other?
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:39 AM   #11
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If it connectes to rubber hoses on either end, i'd replace it with rubber fuel line.
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #12
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
So you're only talking about the hard line being rusty, not the canister itself?

Just pull the tube away and replace with rubber gasoline hose.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys!
Unread 08-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #14
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

The vent hoses attach at the tank to "rollover" valves that have little plastic nipples on them. They're called vent valves, as they are designed to vent fumes, but also shut off if the Jeep ends up upside down so's not to leak. There are two of them. The plastic also wears away after a time, then the valves can pop off and fall in to the tank (no need to ask how I know this).

The rubber line they're attached to tees together and then to the metal line which meanders to the charcoal canister. Just before the canister the line goes to rubber again. I guess they did it this way to be able to secure the line. I don't see any reason why you could not use rubber all the way. On my SWB MJ the metal line is only about 2-3 ft long since the tank is mounted further forward.

Out here in CA those vent lines are mandatory for emission system testing...if you don't have tank pressure testing in your state/area the only reason you'd need those lines is because without them you'd be smelling gas fumes from the tank as it expands with heat or agitation.
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #15
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise XJ View Post
The vent hoses attach at the tank to "rollover" valves that have little plastic nipples on them. They're called vent valves, as they are designed to vent fumes, but also shut off if the Jeep ends up upside down so's not to leak. There are two of them. The plastic also wears away after a time, then the valves can pop off and fall in to the tank (no need to ask how I know this).

The rubber line they're attached to tees together and then to the metal line which meanders to the charcoal canister. Just before the canister the line goes to rubber again. I guess they did it this way to be able to secure the line. I don't see any reason why you could not use rubber all the way. On my SWB MJ the metal line is only about 2-3 ft long since the tank is mounted further forward.

Out here in CA those vent lines are mandatory for emission system testing...if you don't have tank pressure testing in your state/area the only reason you'd need those lines is because without them you'd be smelling gas fumes from the tank as it expands with heat or agitation.
I'm guessing this system prevents a tiny bit of gas from going to waste. I like that idea.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.