what rear axle should I get - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > what rear axle should I get

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
EvolutionXJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Alright so I have 94 XJ...pretty sure it has the Dana 35 which I have heard is garbage. What rear axle should I switch/upgrade too? C8.25? Or maybe the Dana 44. I don't even know if that would, those are just 2 of the rear axles I know about. And yea I plan on getting whatever axle I decide on from my local junk yard lol

Sent from my DNA

EvolutionXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What are your plans for the jeep? How big of tires do you want to run ? No sense to get extreme here, if you don't have to.

Tons of info on this forum covering rear axle swaps. Do your research! Handy google box in the top corner of every jeepforum page

Easy swaps, practically bolt in- c8.25 from a 97-01 cherokee. Dana44 is stronger yet, but was a rare option in early cherokees, go for big $$$ usually.

The Ford 8.8 can be found easily, some with 4.10 gears and a LSD. This requires some fab work
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
EvolutionXJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Right now its looking like I'm gunna be doing a 3.5" lift, even though I am struggling to find one im happy with on the internet :/ and will probably get 31x10.50 tires. Not set in stone yet and have been tossing around the idea of 4.5" lift and still sticking with 31x10.50's or maybe go to 33's. Im going to take it off roading but nothing tooo hardcore (I say that now...wait till I get on a trail and change my mind lol) and it will be alternating with my awesome gas mileage vehicle as a dd more than likely.

Edit
But I've heard the Dana 35 is the WORST rear axle to come on XJ's. Well that just makes me want a different one. Maybe im weird lol

Sent from my DNA
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Get a Chry 8.25 and drive shaft from a 1997-2001 XJ Cherokee. It will be inexpensive, easy to find, and bolt on. An XJ Dana 44 will be 2x to 4x the price of an 8.25, if the seller knows what they have. Plus, the XJ Dana 44 is very rare.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

8.25 from. 97+ will have 29 spline shafts versus the 27 spline in earlier models.

And you will want the driveshaft with the 8.25 because the pinion is longer on that axle so the driveshaft is shorter slightly.

Most of all thanks too Ian Johnson and the xtreme off-road crew for all their work, and 4 wheel to heal for their part in it too.
egodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What are your plans for the jeep? How big of tires do you want to run ? No sense to get extreme here, if you don't have to.

Tons of info on this forum covering rear axle swaps. Do your research! Handy google box in the top corner of every jeepforum page

Easy swaps, practically bolt in- c8.25 from a 97-01 cherokee. Dana44 is stronger yet, but was a rare option in early cherokees, go for big $$$ usually.

The Ford 8.8 can be found easily, some with 4.10 gears and a LSD. This requires some fab work
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You can find a 97+ 8.25 for 100 bucks often. It will be the best option well beyond 31's and approaches the strength of a D44. Bolt in, move on.
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
flexyxj
2009 XK Commander 

With 31's, I wouldn't bother doing anything with your D35 until it's broke. Why fix what ain't broke?
flexyxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
EvolutionXJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Well my springs are fine so should I not get a lift...I just wanna upgrade since I found one at the junkyard already. Besides later on I plan on getting a larger lift and bigger tires so might as well upgrade early.

Sent from my DNA
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexyxj View Post
With 31's, I wouldn't bother doing anything with your D35 until it's broke. Why fix what ain't broke?
I have seen 2 stock Jeeps bust a D35 on P235/75/15 car tires. $100 is cheap insurance.

D35 on 31's ..........

d35-broken.jpg  

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

And I have wheeled sucessfully with 35" tires on a locked d35, stupidity can break anything. Not saying those incidents were caused by it, but hopping the rear tires on rocks will break any axle if you do it enough. For 31" tires unless you are going to do some extreme wheeling I would just leave the d35 under there. I have ran a couple of jeeps with 33's, 35's with one and had zero issues. If you need the peace of mind the 8.25 like CJ7tim stated, is a direct swap and cheap to find.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
twmart
2001 XJ Cherokee 

We just put a 1996 8.25 axle under a 1989 XJ and we are having an issue with the E-Brake cables.

Has anybody else noticed that the E-Brake cables are too short?
2001 Cherokee
twmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.