What is this piece called? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > What is this piece called?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 01-18-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
xjberto

What is this piece called?

Several months ago someone broke into my XJ and stole it. In order to start it they shattered where the key cylinder lock goes. I'm just getting around to trying to fix it and have it all back to normal.
The part highlighted in blue in this picture is what needs replacing.

cherokee-xj-steering-a7 by ariekes, on Flickr

What is this part called? Also how is it removed? I went to a junkyard today and found 3 or 4 jeeps with what I needed. I unbolted whatever bolts seemed to be holding onto the shaft running through the center of it, but could not get it to budge. Am I going to have to replace the entire tilt steering column?

Thanks in advance guys.

xjberto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

What kinda Jeep ? Year ? Model ?

Pictures of exactly what you need ?

I suggest you visit http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/ and spend $7.95 for a genuine Jeep Factory Service Manual with complete disassembly/repair/assembly instructions and a suggested tool list

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
xjberto

I don't know if you saw the part right above the picture I posted, but thanks for the reply Tim. It is a 98 jeep cherokee. The piece I need is the cast piece that the ignition switch screws to. It's the part that the key cylinder lock and ignition actuator mount into.

In this link it shows exactly what I have going on, granted it's someone else, but it is what mine currently looks like.
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/stol...stions-174826/
Unread 01-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The cast housing that holds the ignition cylinder in place is not sold separately. You would need to fully disassemble a steering column to get one. You may be able to buy one from www.steeringcolumnservices.com/

In order to do this job, you will need to remove the airbag, steering wheel, steering shaft, turn signal switch, wiper switch and clockspring. This housing is located below all of those and is fastened to the column tube by two #25 tamperproof torx screws. The only way Jeep sells this part is by selling an entire column assembly.

Myself, I would buy a good used steering column, and have the ignition cylinder re-keyed to match your existing keys.

igniton-switch-housing.jpg

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 01-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #5
jhickman1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you get a used column, you won't need to get it rekeyed. The lock cylinder comes out and is easily transferred from one column to another. I've never tried to change the piece you're referring to, but I've changed two non-tilt columns over to tilt columns in my 99 XJ's. In fact, if the piece you need can be removed, I'll gladly send you one from one of the non-tilt columns I have sitting on the shelf. I'm pretty sure the non-tilt and tilt column pieces you need will interchange since the tilt assembly is external to the column itself.
jhickman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
xjberto

Only problem with that is the key cylinder can not be removed unless you can turn the key to the on position. So if I get one from a junkyard chances are I will not be able to turn it to the on position. I already have a new cylinder so chances are I'll try to somehow drill the other one out.
Unread 01-19-2014, 11:23 PM   #7
jhickman1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjberto View Post
Only problem with that is the key cylinder can not be removed unless you can turn the key to the on position. So if I get one from a junkyard chances are I will not be able to turn it to the on position. I already have a new cylinder so chances are I'll try to somehow drill the other one out.
I hadn't thought about a used column not having a key in the ignition. Both of the used tilt columns I got at the local salvage yard had the keys with them. Again, if it would help you out, I'll never use the two columns sitting on the shelf and they have the key in the ignition. Let me know.
jhickman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Don't try to drill it out, before you install it take it to a local locksmith along with a copy of the instructions on how to remove it. He can pick the tumblers and turn the cylinder to remove it.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #9
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The locksmith can open stuff, or remove lock cylinders without a key.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.