what one to get, chiltons vs haynes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > what one to get, chiltons vs haynes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
maroon87xj
1987 XJ Cherokee 

what one to get, chiltons vs haynes

i am going to purchase a repair manual for my 87 xj today and curious what one to get. im not real good at working on cars so the one with the most pictures would be for me. and what book has the better wiring diagrams beings i have a ghost draw somewhere.

thanx for the input if any

maroon87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Having been a professional mechanic at one point in my life, I can honestly say that they are both pretty bad. Try to find a Factory Service Manual for your year/model online. It took me about 2 minutes on Google to find a site selling them; got a pristeen, like-new FSM for my XJ for $135. You might think that is a lot of money, but trust me... it's worth it.
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgirvine View Post
Having been a professional mechanic at one point in my life, I can honestly say that they are both pretty bad. Try to find a Factory Service Manual for your year/model online. It took me about 2 minutes on Google to find a site selling them; got a pristeen, like-new FSM for my XJ for $135. You might think that is a lot of money, but trust me... it's worth it.
Also if you don't need a paper copy you can get the FSM on CD-rom (PDF) for $20 on RockAuto (and I'm sure others).

While I agree with wgirvine that Haynes/Chiltons generally aren't that good, the XJ is simple enough that if you have basic mechanical knowledge they will probably be sufficient 95% of the time and if they don't cover something you can probably find a write up with a quick web search.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Neither.

Get a genuine Jeep Factory Service Manual. You can download a copy for under $10, or try eBay. I got a nice used one with genuine professional mechanic coffee stains for $35.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
maroon87xj
1987 XJ Cherokee 

ooh man, ill buy your coffee stained copy... lmao

thanks for the input fellas

for the most part if i can figure out the problem i have found all my answers on here. i need a tablet so i dont gotta keep running inside to see or read smething. i love all the write ups for dummys...
maroon87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Definitely get a FSM vs the Haynes manual. I haven't used mine in a LONG time.

I got a PDF for my '00 free online by luck and searching for a while.

You're right about finding most issues on here or one of the other XJ specific sites. There's a thread with pictures somewhere.
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

If anyone has a link to a FSM for an 89 XJ. I would really appreciate it. A person was kind enough to send me one for my YJ a few months ago. I would never been able to fix it with a hayes or chiltons. FSM is the very best way to go.
ad-man is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.