What Oil Weight should I / do you Use? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > What Oil Weight should I / do you Use?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-19-2004, 02:49 PM   #1
chow

What Oil Weight should I / do you Use?

Well its that time again for me her in Southern Cali-e and I've been thinking about changing my oil weight since it never snows out here.
Anyways I'm currently using 10W30, but sinceI never have to worry about the freezing point. I want, or would like to get the thickest oil, without hurting the oil pump or starving the motor during start-up.
Is 10W40 good enough or 20W50 pushing it, or what?
Thanks

Rusty's Intake & TB Spacer, Banks Header, CSF 3-Core Radiator & MagnaFlow 2.5 SS Cat-Back Exhaust....
R.E. 6200 5" w/Bilstein 5150, JKS UCA & LCA, HighAngle CV Drive shaft, 1987 Dana 44 & R.E. SYE....
Custom 4X4 Fabrication Diff Gards D30 & D44, JKS SuperNerf Rails, DPG OFFROAD T-Case, Custom Roll Cage, Front & Rear Bumper by Ryan's Roll Cage.....
AR 797 15X8 W/FireStone Destination MT 31" , Warn 9.5 XP Winch ~
chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2004, 03:08 PM   #2
JoBo

What's wrong with 10-30? If your oil pressure is ok and your not using any why change. If you really want to change go to a better oil like Mobil 1 10-30.

JoBo
JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2004, 03:58 PM   #3
chow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBo
What's wrong with 10-30? If your oil pressure is ok and your not using any why change. If you really want to change go to a better oil like Mobil 1 10-30.

JoBo
Well i'm not going to Full Syn. or even partal, I'm looking for oil to give me better protection when my engine gets hot!!! (as in the desert) As oil heats up it starts to break-down, thats why its better to have thicker oil protects better. The down side to having thicker oil is that when it cold, thicker can hurt your engine during start-up. Also too thick of oil can make your oil pump wear pre-mature

Rusty's Intake & TB Spacer, Banks Header, CSF 3-Core Radiator & MagnaFlow 2.5 SS Cat-Back Exhaust....
R.E. 6200 5" w/Bilstein 5150, JKS UCA & LCA, HighAngle CV Drive shaft, 1987 Dana 44 & R.E. SYE....
Custom 4X4 Fabrication Diff Gards D30 & D44, JKS SuperNerf Rails, DPG OFFROAD T-Case, Custom Roll Cage, Front & Rear Bumper by Ryan's Roll Cage.....
AR 797 15X8 W/FireStone Destination MT 31" , Warn 9.5 XP Winch ~
chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2004, 04:08 PM   #4
bart4man

From working in a Jeep Dealership for 5 years and a Dodge for another 1, I would say stick with 10w30. That's what is recommened from factory. I wouldn't see a reason to have to go to a heavier weight. 10w30 is a good standard. And with the heat, I wouldn't be opposed to running Mobil 1. I've run it in all of my vehicles. It's supposed to stand up to heat and not break down like conventional oils do. Don't get all caught up in the hype that if you go to Synth, you can't go back cuz you can. Try it, if you don't like it, go back.
Unread 09-19-2004, 05:22 PM   #5
jfw432

I know a lot of people who run 20w-50 without problems. I've run it a few times but it was a synth. blend. During start up my rpms don't shoot up like normal but it runs fine. Oil pressure is higher especially at start up.

I'm running 15w-40 right now so my oil pressure stays higher and shuts my valvetrain noise up. I can't figure it out but as long as my oil pressure stays up then it shuts up. I would've gone back to the 20w stuff but I'm in WV and it will be getting real cold soon.
Unread 09-20-2004, 05:28 PM   #6
buchers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hey I live in So. Calif right next to the mexican border between Yuma Ariz. and San Diego. In other words I live in the part of hell that doesn't burn.......

I have tried just about every grade of oil out there and I found that because of the heat down here I just run 50 wt oil all year long.

Take it from a true dessert rat, 50 wt is the only way to go.

When I go out into the dessert and its getting to be around 120 in the shade I really like it when the good old oil pressure gauge is sitting aroung 40 to 50 psi.

Sure a lot better than seeing the old gauge down around 10 psi when you are using something besides 50 wt oil.

Try it.....you'll like it...
buchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2004, 06:38 PM   #7
71bigblock

Mobil 1 10w30, period. Probably opening a can of worms (usually does on all the other gearhead sites), but there's nothing like full synthetic. It's engineered to be better than dino. I've run Mobil 1 in all my vehicles since purchase (including the used ones) and never had *any* engine related mechanical problems. All have gone 150K+. Current XJ purchased at 89K 4 years ago and is at 180K with no problems and still getting good mileage. If heat is your concern, upgrade your cooling system.
71bigblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2004, 08:14 PM   #8
buchers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That maybe true back where you live, but here in the dessert its a completely different ballgame when it comes to oil.
buchers is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.