What oil to use in 4.0 97 Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > What oil to use in 4.0 97 Cherokee

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-04-2009, 06:45 AM   #1
Woody_FX
1997 LJ Wrangler 

What oil to use in 4.0 97 Cherokee

Hi guys,

Bought the Cherokee 2nd(3rd, 4th) hand and there are no manuals with it. Its a 97 4.0L Limited Edition version.

So what type of oil should i put into it? Is there anything else i should do for maintance? Put 4000km on it since i got it and dont know what the last owner did maintance-wise.

I can get a smell of petrol of it occaisonally. Usally on really hot days i think. In Queensland, Australia.

Many Thanks for the tips guys.
-W

Woody_FX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2009, 07:00 AM   #2
jontz
1995 XJ Cherokee 

10w30 is the manufacturer recommended weight. It will take 6 US quarts with a filter. I would also look at replacing spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor just as general maintenance.

I'm not sure about the smell. You might start looking around for a leaky fuel line, or perhaps even a bad gas cap. Again, I'm not too sure about that one...
jontz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Most of the time 10w-30 is what is recommended. 6qtrs of it. Check the transfer case level and the trans fluid level.

Flush the cooling system and refill it with fresh coolant.

Check the serpentine belt condition and look at the motor mounts and trans mount.

Drive it and look for wet spots on the tank or smell around to try to find the source of the smell. Check the injector seats and look for wetness there.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you have no history of maintenance, change out ALL fluids. Oil, transmission fluid, transfer case, both differentials, coolant (replace with factory 195 OEM thermostat while you're doing this). Fluids are the best investment on future reliability of your XJ.

For tuneup hardware, you'd be looking at replacing spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, air filter, check belt condition.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
Woody_FX
1997 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys! I try check that all out.
Woody_FX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.