what is needed for cruise control - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > what is needed for cruise control

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 01-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
XJinPA
1996 XJ Cherokee 

what is needed for cruise control

Hi all,

I have a 96 cherokee with auto trans. I use this as my daily driver, and it's great, but I would love to have cruise because of how much I drive. Today I was at the junkyard, and found a cherokee equiped with cruise. What exactly do I need from the junkyard to make the cruise control work in my jeep. I know I need the steering wheel controls, and was planning to just take the entire steering wheel, but what else do I need? Thanks

XJinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 06:44 AM   #2
PaYankee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJinPA
Hi all, I have a 96 cherokee with auto trans. I use this as my daily driver, and it's great, but I would love to have cruise because of how much I drive. Today I was at the junkyard, and found a cherokee equiped with cruise. What exactly do I need from the junkyard to make the cruise control work in my jeep. I know I need the steering wheel controls, and was planning to just take the entire steering wheel, but what else do I need? Thanks
The cruise control module and the cable for it that attaches to throttle body,
Unread 01-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Isn't there an extra switch by the brake light switch?
Unread 01-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

You'll also need the multi function switch stalk (blinkers etc.) with cruise control. You don't necessarily need the steering wheel controls. Mine are on the stalk.
Paradise XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

At some point they switched from the GM style turns signal / wiper / cruise control stalk that AMC used to the Chrysler design that has the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel. His 96 might use the later design (certainly my 98 does).
When I added cruise to mine, I needed the steering wheel "face" (airbag and cover and the CORRECT switches) and the "clock spring" behind the wheel. Under the hood I needed the vacuum modulator w/ cable and the vacuum connector.
Installation is straightforward - all plug 'n play - but you have to have the right switches. Do some Google searches - I think your year has to have a part number on the back ending in an "A" (the switches apparently have resistance built in so they send "pulses" of a different voltages for different functions. Wrong switches, wrong voltage signal, and the computer won't recognize it).
I didn't have to change the brake switch.
Frankly this was one of the neatest upgrades I've done. I was amazed that it all just plugged in and worked!
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #6
XJinPA
1996 XJ Cherokee 

my jeep has the cruise control switches mounted at the bottom of the steering wheel, that's why I was taking the entire wheel. I was at the junkyard today again looking at it while getting a couple other things, and I see the actuator, but I didn't see a separate module for it, Where is the module located on the '96 cherokees? I want to get this stuff as soon as I can, because it was the only one there that had the steering wheel controls. Again, I appreciate the help
Unread 01-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Try some Google searches - that's how I figured out what parts I'd need.
My guess is your 96 is similar electronically to my 98. If so, the wheel (with the switches), the clock spring behind the wheel (it has the extra wires to support the cruise control) and the actuator under the hood are all you will need. Again, just my guess based on my 98.
I don't know what you mean by "module".
Unread 01-15-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
XJinPA
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The first person to reply told me that I needed the cruise control module, so that's what I was going by. I wasn't sure if the computer needed switched out as well. My dodge daytona requires a computer specific to cruise control cars. I'll grab the parts you mentioned, and go from there. Thanks again
Unread 01-15-2014, 10:53 AM   #9
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ok - no promises for a 96, but on my 98, the computer was just waiting for the input. Once I plugged in the actuator under the hood (plug was just sitting there under the battery), plugged in the new "clockspring" (on the steering column behind the wheel) and then plugged in the steering wheel switches, I pressd the "on" button and the "cruise" light lit up on the instrument cluster. Hope yours is just as easy.
Unread 07-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #10
hshark
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I am wanting to do this on my 96. Did you get it done? If so, what did you end up needing? I was thinking of finding a 95-96 and pulling the entire steering column and the pump thing from under the hood, but what else (if anything) do I need?
hshark is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.