What lift type is it? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > What lift type is it?

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #16
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Pitman arms can be a real PITA to pull. If you're trying to junkyard one, look for a jeep with a leaking steering box. I've broken pullers, and beat the hell out of pickle forks. Most are too stubborn to remove without a torch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
so I just knocked the tie rod out with a hammer, and left the rest.
Sounds like the drag link.

Why are you wanting a different height pitman arm? Have you changed the body side mount of the track bar?

WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #17
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #18
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1.8t View Post
Pitman arms can be a real PITA to pull. If you're trying to junkyard one, look for a jeep with a leaking steering box. I've broken pullers, and beat the hell out of pickle forks. Most are too stubborn to remove without a torch.

Sounds like the drag link.

Why are you wanting a different height pitman arm? Have you changed the body side mount of the track bar?
yeah, the drag link tie rod end (I'd already removed the actual drag link)

the body side mount was changed before I bought it (see above pics) I plan to remove it. I want the lower pitman to flatten the steering geometry closer to stock, with the 2" lift.
Unread 10-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #19
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
the body side mount was changed before I bought it (see above pics) I plan to remove it. I want the lower pitman to flatten the steering geometry closer to stock, with the 2" lift.
I only saw the axle end mount's aftermarket bracket with the green X on it.

I'm kinda thinking you don't have to do that though, your track bar's body side mount looks stock to me, and to keep the drag link parallel with the track bar at the top, you would probably want to keep the stock pitman arm. I would think you should just get an adjustable track bar to center the axle, and keep the OEM mounts on both sides of the track bar and drag link. At 2" of lift, the inverted Y of the stock steering is still well within it's rage of being effective.
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #20
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You do not need a Drop Pitman Arm until you have more than 6-8" of lift. The stock pitman arm is fine for any lift 0-6" tall.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #21
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
What lift type is it?
If I ever get rid of my XJ, I hope someone comes here and asks the same question.
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #22
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
If I ever get rid of my XJ, I hope someone comes here and asks the same question.
Ha, think that's bad? look at my leaf springs:
p1050747ltleaf.jpg  
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #23
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

LMAO way to clamps, no clamps!
Unread 11-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #24
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
LMAO way to clamps, no clamps!
I know I need clamps.

whats a cheep way to go? Easy way?
Unread 11-11-2011, 01:53 AM   #25
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1.8t View Post
I only saw the axle end mount's aftermarket bracket with the green X on it.

I'm kinda thinking you don't have to do that though, your track bar's body side mount looks stock to me, and to keep the drag link parallel with the track bar at the top, you would probably want to keep the stock pitman arm. I would think you should just get an adjustable track bar to center the axle, and keep the OEM mounts on both sides of the track bar and drag link. At 2" of lift, the inverted Y of the stock steering is still well within it's rage of being effective.
yes Track bar is stock (except the bracket with green X).
I want to add another inch... or so..? sounds like It will be best without pitman or the X bracket.

Why do we need a Track bar, anyway ??? Never had a vehicle with one before. It has control arms, shocks, springs & stabilizer bar mounted to axel...

Tags
lift , repair , sagging , springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.