What lift type is it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > What lift type is it?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-08-2011, 03:20 AM   #1
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

What lift type is it?

I was told when I bought my 1989 Cherokee Limited that it had a 2" lift.

However, It seems more like 1 1/2 or 1 1/4" after I subtract a couple inches for the 31" tires (assuming stock height of 63.3"). I expect this may be due to wear, and trying to haul too much weight (bricks )

My questions are:
How do i figure out what kind of lift I have?

How do I fix it back up to the 2" lift

e.g. If I had WJ front springs I could go to JY and get another pair, OR If bastard pack, I could just add a leaf each side rear.

Also rear leaves are spreading a little, so I need to bind them together...

stabilizer-bushings-p1020880.jpg   stabilizer-bushings-p1020881.jpg  
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 05:50 AM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The only way to measure for true lift height is to measure from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the flares. This eliminates any tire size differences. If your fenders are trimmed you can measure from the frame to the axle tubes and there is a picture somewhere on here to show where to measure. If your fenders aren't trimmed the stock height is 17" in the rear and 17.5" up front. WJ coils don't fit on XJ's. ZJ coils will give very little lift 1/2" to 1" and will ride like crap. The easiest way to lift the front a small amount is to add coil spacers or extra rubber isolators to the top of the coils. The factory isolators are cheap and each one will give about 5/8" of lift. Spacers are good to around 2" of lift and after that you need longer coils. You can add-a-leaf in the rear from another set of leafs or use a longer shackle for a little more lift depending on what was done to it before.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
If your fenders aren't trimmed the stock height is 17" in the rear and 17.5" up front. ... The factory isolators are cheap and each one will give about 5/8" of lift. Spacers are good to around 2" of lift and after that you need longer coils. You can add-a-leaf in the rear from another set of leafs.
Thanks!
Yeah found a more level spot, measured 20" front, 19" rear, on the driver side, it seems to list to the driver side a bit.

So I think I need 1 isolator front ans a leaf or something in the rear..
At least I know where to start now.
Unread 10-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

This is the Rt (passenger) side knuckle and tracbar mount.

The part with the Green X - Does this come from any particular lift kit ??
It seems to be a little loose, Dude at Les Schwab says to just weld it, but ... the trackbar already pushes the tires too far to the right (pass), so I'm thinking about removing it.

Advise?
Bolt size for the stock tracbar mount hole (or does it need some kind of sleeve)?
p1050689-rtknuckletrcbarx.jpg  
Unread 10-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The green x is a track bar drop bracket and it should be removed and thrown away. They cause excessive stress on the axle bracket and can cause breakage. If needed, a longer adjustable track bar is a better solution.

Your sway bar links are too short. See how they are rubbing on the coil springs. The ends of the sway bar should be pointed up at about a 10-15* angle. Look at a stock XJ and compare the sway bar location/orientation/angle.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
The green x is a track bar drop bracket and it should be removed and thrown away. They cause excessive stress on the axle bracket and can cause breakage. If needed, a longer adjustable track bar is a better solution.

Your sway bar links are too short. See how they are rubbing on the coil springs. The ends of the sway bar should be pointed up at about a 10-15* angle. Look at a stock XJ and compare the sway bar location/orientation/angle.
Ok good to know- thanks, ..and yeah I been planning to lengthen the stabilizer links, I know they're prob 2+" too short.

I didn't even know that track bar drop bracket was there until the alignment guy said it was loose, then i went to junkyard and compared them with mine...
grrr!
Unread 10-15-2011, 01:50 AM   #7
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Do you know what size bolt or if I need a sleeve on the bolt for the track bar to axle mount?

I've heard conflicting reports about it (13mm or 9/16??) Green -and that it may not fit snug in the hole..
- Maybe I can weld a fender washer on it?
Freedom. Exploring the wilderness, or nature, whatever... - NOT paying to go on someone's roller-coaster ride, or go-cart track!
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson
Unread 10-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The bolt is a Hex Head, M10x1.5x70. This bolt uses a flag nut, a nut with a tab welded to to that fits into the bracket. You should use a Grade 8 washer. The track bar bushing has a sleeve in it.

If the axle end bolt hole is worn and oval shaped you should make and weld on a repair plate with a snug fitting bolt hole.
trackbarfix.jpg  

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
Unread 10-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Great, thanks for the info and pic, Tim!
Unread 10-16-2011, 01:07 AM   #10
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

How do I get the Pittman arm off??
Unread 10-16-2011, 02:13 AM   #11
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

What are you trying to remove ?

front-end.jpg  

Unread 10-16-2011, 09:01 AM   #12
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim

Great image Tim. That needs to go in an XJ-newbie stickie.
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2011, 10:14 PM   #13
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post

- The Pitman Arm. (and the tie rod attached to it) I couldn't get it off yesterday at junkyard.

Last edited by RacerX; 10-16-2011 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: pic
Unread 10-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
graytm4
1997 XJ Cherokee 

you need a puller for the pitman arm
graytm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #15
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

ZJ steering rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by graytm4 View Post
you need a puller for the pitman arm
Ok I went to harbor-freight and bought a wheel puller, took it back to the junkyard.... I could not get the Pitman arm off!

I ended up taking the whole steering gearbox off and trying the puller that way (on the ground), all it did was scrape grooves in it.

so I just knocked the tie rod out with a hammer, and left the rest.
I still want the ZJ pitman arm. Maybe another junkyard will pull it for me?

Tags
lift , repair , sagging , springs

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.