What is ideal caster for a stock height XJ with D30 HP?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-28-2016, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What is ideal caster for a stock height XJ with D30 HP??

I've Googled it and found several recommendations for ideal caster.

6.5, 7, 7.5, and 8 degrees are the various recomendations I've read in Google searches as being stock caster or ideal caster (depending on source).

I'm inclined to think either 7*, 7.25*, or 7.5*, but am curious to know JF forum members opinions.

My XJ is a 99 with approx 1" lift in front (and 1.5" rear). I have 30 x 9.5 tires. My current caster is 6.5* and it has inadequate return to center, and a slight wander on highway.

I have adjustable LCAs. Should I try 7*, 7.25*, or 8* caster?

Warning: I often edit my posts a few times to get them complete, or to correct errors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-28-2016, 10:29 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The correct alignment specs are in your Factory Service Manual, along with the answers to nearly any maintence or repair questions. Inadequate return to center should make one look at the ball joints, and a slight wander on highway should make one look at the toe-in setting. Some tires are more prone to follow concrete pavement grooves or tire depressions in asphalt than other tires.

Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-28-2016, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the info. I don't have a FSM. I should get one.

Regarding my ball joints.. My alignment guy checked them for looseness and then told me they're tight and therefore in good condition. However, steering seems stiff to me.

My cousin recently jacked up front end so front tires off ground so we could turn wheels from lock to lock with engine turned off. We noticed the steering is very stiff and difficult to turn.

So that has me wondering if ball joints could be bad, causing stiff steering? But if my ball joints are bad, wouldn't there be some looseness/wobble in the C/wheel?

My XJ is from Kansas where roads are salted each Winter. That's a factor that my local alignment guy hasn't seen before.

Warning: I often edit my posts a few times to get them complete, or to correct errors.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-29-2016, 01:50 AM
ghostwhite
1996 XJ Cherokee 

A previous owner may have tried to adjust the steering box. If the box was adjusted too tight this would cause poor return to center and stiff movement thru the entire motion. Dunno how you would go about verifying this without loosening the steering box adjuster but care would have to be taken and to actually do a proper adjustment the box would need to be on the bench.

With the front end on jackstands I would disconnect your steering at the pitman arm and unhook your steering stabilizer then try and turn the wheels by hand and see how much resistance they have. After that but before reconnecting the steering at the pitman turn the steering wheel back and forth to see if the box is stiff.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-29-2016, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have a new steering gear box. Same stiff steering existed with the old steering gear box. So I don't think it's the steering gear box.

post #6 of 11 Old 02-29-2016, 05:25 AM
RLE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Did this problem recently appear or has it been there awhile?

Anyway, what I would do is have my mechanic loosen the steering
components one a time until he finds what is binding. Then tighten
things back to spec and grease everything. Shouldn't take more than
an hour.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-29-2016, 09:34 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Stiff and difficult, compared to how many other similar Cherokees ? What does your local alignment guy say about the feel when he performs the same actions ?

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-29-2016, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The steering has been stiff IMO ever since I bought this XJ from a dealer in Kansas.

My local alignment guy said steering feels stiff and I needed a new steering gear box. I replaced the box and it's still stiff. I also replaced all TRE, trackbar, and PS pump and it's still stiff.

The only original parts left are the ball joints.

I previously owned a 96 XJ and 06 LJ and they were much easier to turn the steering wheel. Though it's a little hard to compare because I was healthier and stronger back then.

I can ask alignment guy about it, but I'd also like your opinion.

post #9 of 11 Old 02-29-2016, 01:59 PM
RLE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Go ahead and put some new Spicer 706944X original quality ball joints in it.
http://www.northerndrivetrain.com/pr...I-706944X.html

If that doesn't improve things, you would probably be more comfortable
in a WJ or WK. With all the great work you've put in your 99, you should be
able get a good price for it.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-01-2016, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sell my XJ? That ain't happnin.

post #11 of 11 Old 03-01-2016, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Now as for ball joints... There's Spicer, Moog, and maybe Timken? Is one better than another, or are they all good?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.