What hose is this and how hard will it be to fix? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > What hose is this and how hard will it be to fix?

LJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off RoadEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
JeepinJesse
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What hose is this and how hard will it be to fix?

Hey guys yesterday I pulled into my drive way and saw white smoke coming from the hood. I popped the hood and saw the top hose running along the left side of the motor had blown. What hose is this and what do I do to fix it. Please leave comments , thank youu.

image.jpg

JeepinJesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

It's a heater hose. It goes from your t-stat to your heater core. It's easy as buying the hose, removing the clamps, replacing the hose, topping off your coolant.

The hardest part is BUYING the hose. You can buy bulk hose, but easier to use the pre molded hose, it's plug n' play. I'd replace both of them and give the other cooling hoses a good inspection too. Usually when stuff like this breaks, it's a wake-up call to do some maintenance. If this is a picture of YOUR engine, maybe a good cleaning too. Makes it easier to find stuff and/or other potential maintenance problems Just my two cents'.
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
JeepinJesse
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ok thank youu , I appreciate it
JeepinJesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

And...get the proper CCV fitting for your valve cover. LOL

Available at O'reilly and other parts stores. Dorman part I think.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise XJ View Post
It's a heater hose. It goes from your t-stat to your heater core. It's easy as buying the hose, removing the clamps, replacing the hose, topping off your coolant.

The hardest part is BUYING the hose. You can buy bulk hose, but easier to use the pre molded hose, it's plug n' play. I'd replace both of them and give the other cooling hoses a good inspection too.
I would go one step further. Given that the hose blew, it did so because it was soft and old. I would be willing to bet that the others are in the same condition. And I would also be willing to bet if they are in that same condition, the coolant has not been flushed/changed in some time.

Assuming all of that is true, and coolant flush/change and replacement of ALL the hoses is a prudent thing to do. The cooling system of the 4.0 XJ is it's Achille's Heel, and keeping it in top shape prevents catastrophic failures and possible engine death.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!

For Sale to Good Home---2000 XJ Factory Service Manual (Printed Version) PM for details.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

That's your heater core hose.

Should be able to buy the exact length you need at a local parts store for under $10. I got mine for four something.

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.