what does a red GEN light mean? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > what does a red GEN light mean?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-21-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
red96jeep

what does a red GEN light mean?

on the dash right above the check engine light. what's it mean? in the manual it says that spot is not in use, but apparenty it is.

Rocky Mountain Edition Club member #4
project vehicle
new 2002 jetta 1.8t DD
red96jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
bee guz

If you have genenerator light on it means you are not makeing any power, for your battery, or there is something wrong with the printed circuit behind the instrument panel, and the light is just on, but I would have it checked out before you get stranded someplace.

If the light is just on dim, it could be a bad diode in the alternator, and if its a GM alternator this can be repaired by changing the diode trio.
bee guz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
red96jeep

haha well right now i'm stranded in my garage she wont start.
project vehicle
new 2002 jetta 1.8t DD
Unread 01-21-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
h2rescue

I have the same light on and i have to get a new alternator
White Jeep Club Member #51

Project Groundhog:
1996 XJ SPORT, 4.0 AW4 NP231, Rock Sliders
PIAA lighting, Grill Guard, Dual Battery Setup
h2rescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2007, 08:09 PM   #5
anony91xj

Usually means the alternator is bad. If the car won't start, charge the battery or jump it and see if it'll start. If that light is on with the engine running (and the charger/jumper cables disconnected), it's a safe bet to replace the alternator.
Unread 01-21-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

when my alt died i had no such light turn on, i dont even have one.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 03:32 PM   #7
red96jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anony91xj
Usually means the alternator is bad. If the car won't start, charge the battery or jump it and see if it'll start. If that light is on with the engine running (and the charger/jumper cables disconnected), it's a safe bet to replace the alternator.
ok well what should i do now, the light has stoped comming on. i have the battery fully charged, when the key is placed on the ON position all eletronics work and the chekc engine light and GEN light have stoped comming on. BUT....when i go to start the jeep it wont start. not even turn over. no clicky from the starter! i would say it's a bad starter but then why was my jeep cutting off randomly on the drive home the other night before all this started to happen? could it be a bad igniton switch? or am i just totaly screwed? i'm thinking of callin a tow truck tommrow to haul her off and rape me even more in the wallet.
project vehicle
new 2002 jetta 1.8t DD
Unread 01-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #8
RickyN29

Wow, im surprised they refer to it as a generator!! That was way back in the day.

Best bet is to drive to a Kragen/Shucks/Checker or Autozone and have them run a free electrical diagnostic test. They can test the output of your alternator (installed in the vehicle) both with load and without load. They can tell you right then and there if you alternator is not able to meet the electrical demand of the vehicle.

If it turns out to be a bad alternator, you replace it yourself with basic hand tools and maybe an hour.

It could also be a bad battery (bad cell) which would put an excessive load on the alternator.

As a simply, inconclusive test, you can put a multimeter on the battery with the vehicle off (should read ~12VDC) then start the vehicle. With the engine running, it should read ~14VDC. Then turn on headlights, AC, defrost, etc (to create a load) and it should be able to maintain ~13-14VDC.
*Pacer Wheels/High-Tec Retreads 31" MT
*KargoMaster Safari Rack
*CSF Open Cooling System Conversion
*Hayden Tranny Cooler
*Flowmaster 40 Delta & High-Flo Cat
*PORC SYE / FRT DS Combo
*The Doors are off again for summer!
RickyN29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 04:40 PM   #9
RickyN29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ
when my alt died i had no such light turn on, i dont even have one.
Yeah, us RENIX Jeepers don't have warning lights for anything......they just never break!!! In 96+ more instrument indicator lights were installed with the switch to OBDII (On Board Diagnostics [system 2])
*KargoMaster Safari Rack
*Hayden Tranny Cooler
*PORC SYE / FRT DS Combo
Unread 01-22-2007, 04:46 PM   #10
red96jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyN29
Wow, im surprised they refer to it as a generator!! That was way back in the day.

Best bet is to drive to a Kragen/Shucks/Checker or Autozone and have them run a free electrical diagnostic test. They can test the output of your alternator (installed in the vehicle) both with load and without load. They can tell you right then and there if you alternator is not able to meet the electrical demand of the vehicle.

If it turns out to be a bad alternator, you replace it yourself with basic hand tools and maybe an hour.

It could also be a bad battery (bad cell) which would put an excessive load on the alternator.

As a simply, inconclusive test, you can put a multimeter on the battery with the vehicle off (should read ~12VDC) then start the vehicle. With the engine running, it should read ~14VDC. Then turn on headlights, AC, defrost, etc (to create a load) and it should be able to maintain ~13-14VDC.
that looks good excpet for the whole drive part lol. my friend who is a mechanic is comming over to take a look at it. hopefully he can shed some light by being able to see the jeep.
project vehicle
new 2002 jetta 1.8t DD
Unread 01-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #11
RickyN29

Quote:
Originally Posted by red96jeep
ok well what should i do now, the light has stoped comming on. i have the battery fully charged, when the key is placed on the ON position all eletronics work and the chekc engine light and GEN light have stoped comming on. BUT....when i go to start the jeep it wont start. not even turn over. no clicky from the starter! i would say it's a bad starter but then why was my jeep cutting off randomly on the drive home the other night before all this started to happen? could it be a bad igniton switch? or am i just totaly screwed? i'm thinking of callin a tow truck tommrow to haul her off and rape me even more in the wallet.
Opps, missed this post!

Hum, I would first rule out the battery. Could be a completely dead battery. If possible, try jumpstarting it. If that doesn't seem to work, disconnect your battery (which might have a bad cell) completely, and hook the jumper cables just to your battery cables. Try to jump it again.
*KargoMaster Safari Rack
*Hayden Tranny Cooler
*PORC SYE / FRT DS Combo

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.