What does a bad rear end or rear wheel bearing sound like? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > What does a bad rear end or rear wheel bearing sound like?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-23-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
bst123
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What does a bad rear end or rear wheel bearing sound like?

I am still fighting a vibration and it is getting worst. I have balanced my rear drive shaft put in new u-joints new tires a new stearing stablizer and now new shocks. I think the rear end bearing or a rear axle bearing is going bad. does anyone know what it would sound or feel like if the pinion or rear wheel bearning were to go out?

Unread 10-24-2007, 09:10 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

A bad pinion bearing make a roaring or growling noise inthe rear area of the Jeep. It may change pitch a litttle bit under steady throttle making it sound sort of like wow WOW wow WOW wow. Really bad pinion bearings will wobble about when you push/pull them by hand.

Bad rear drive shaft ujoints make a similar noise, but are easy and inexpensive to replace. Axle ujoints tend to makes noise on acceleration and not coast or coast and not acceleration. Start with new ujoints. If the noise is still there you look at the axle bearings and you probably needed new drive shaft ujoints anyways.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

A bad wheel bearing typically sounds like your running 36" Swampers.

Check the pinion by jacking up the rear, and reefing up and down as hard as you can. Basically you're looking for any play. There should be a little play back and forth, AKA backlash, but it shouldn't move up and down.
Unread 10-24-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
XJH-007

After checking all above posts, check to see if your U-Bolts are tight. If they are loose and you have slop in the axle, your pinion angle could be changing causing you U-joints to throw off vibes......

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.