What do ya'll think of this craigslist Cherokee ? (10" lift, 35's, locked) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > What do ya'll think of this craigslist Cherokee ? (10" lift, 35's, locked)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
jcole
2008 JK Wrangler 

What do ya'll think of this craigslist Cherokee ? (10" lift, 35's, locked)

1998 JEEP CHEROKEE 10" LIFT

Quote:
1998 Jeep Cherokee, 218000 kms, 4.0 L Automatic, aircared till Jan 2012, Interior is literally mint, Everything works except the AC. This ride is a daily driver and is currently insured.

It has a custom 10" lift designed and built by IRONMAN 4X4 FABRICATION. The biggest lift available is a 8" by RUBICON and SKYJACKER. It is a short arm kit that uses Sky Jacker front coils and Pro Comp rear leafs and Pro Comp shocks and misc. custom Ironman parts to complete the lift.

Everything has been done: 4:88 gears, cromoly axle shafts, Detroit locker in rear, Spartan locker in front, driveshafts, brakes, all steering components, drag link, huge tie rod and ends, huge track bar brace, everything is over built, absolutly no bump steer, front end is all tight, tons of new parts, fresh alignment, you can go 120kms/hr on the highway no problem, 35" x 12.5" x 15" Pro Comp Mud Terrains, 15" x 8" Moab Rock Krawler steel rims, Dana 230 transfer case - not the weak part time 4x4 transfer case some of these Cherokees came with. Full 2.5 " exhaust with Thrush muffler, and a new cat. Hidden hitch with 2" receiver. Adjustable super-flex rear shackles. The offroad performance of this vehicle is INSANE. Of course there is some minor bush bash. No cracked windows and no leaks anywhere.

This seems to be the biggest Cherokee around and it is a must see. I have put countless time and money into this Jeep - there is nothing wrong with the vehicle at all. I hate to see it go but have recently started a business and need the money.

Asking $6900 open to reasonable offers.
I talked to the guy, he sent me some extra pictures. The outside looks decently clean, the suspension looks good, it's got high steer and oversized joints etc. It's running a short arm kit with no drop brackets. If I purchased it I'd probably convert it over to a rough country longarm setup.

The bad: Dana 35, detroit locker, chromoly shafts, 4.88 gears. I don't wheel hard, but is this a ticking timebomb ? I was under the impression that all the '98's had c8.25" rears in them

jcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
jcole
2008 JK Wrangler 

Some extra pics he sent me:

He says the tires are at 85%
Unread 01-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
micheal96712
1990 XJ Cherokee 

offer $6
10 inch short arm lift..?
micheal96712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Steering and/or trac bar will need to be redone to eliminate bumpsteer IMHO. Those angles look terrible to me.
The steering also looks like a stock kind of setup, maybe he sleeved it and put bigger tre's on?
For my .02, it would need the steering done correctly and the trac bar redone to make it good on the road.
Offroad it needs long arms for sure, wonder how it rides with 10" of lift and short arms!
And doing all that with a turdy5 in the rear?
Possibly a good foundation, but if it way over what a low mile stocker is, give it a pass IMHO.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
justanotherjpr

Let me count the way this thing sucks.

1. Looks way too high - price and lift. Ironman 4x4 obviously sucks. Who puts 10" of lift with short arms. Seriously?

2. As for the 'high steer', it's obviously just a RHD XJ drag link, so even if the tie rod end at the driver's side knuckle is big, it's still using the stockers on the passenger side knuckle, the tie rod end at the drag link, and the pitman arm. This setup is necessarily bad, but let's call a true high steer or super beefy steering system, it is not,

3. The track bar isn't anywhere near paralell with the drag link - probably has tons of bump steer.

4. There is no '230' t-case. There is a 231, but it's the part-time case. There is a 242, its about the same strength as the 242. No other T-cases were available in XJ's here in the US. I doubt they are different in Canada.

5. It has to ride, drive, and droop like crap with 10" of lift on short arms.

Plan to spend some money on this thing. The D35 and D30 will probably be ok if they actually have the chromoly shafts, but definitely at least truss the D35. Find out the spline count of the shafts and get the appropriate spares.

IMO, you could do a lot better with 7k.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
jcole
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, 10" is excessive. Especially in bc where everything seems to be off camber tippy type stuff. If I bought it I'd lower it down 3.5", add long arms, sell the arms on it, and then add armour. Of course, for that kind of money, a downpayment on a low miles rubicon sure starts to look attractive...
Unread 01-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcole View Post
Yeah, 10" is excessive. Especially in bc where everything seems to be off camber tippy type stuff. If I bought it I'd lower it down 3.5", add long arms, sell the arms on it, and then add armour. Of course, for that kind of money, a downpayment on a low miles rubicon sure starts to look attractive...
You are making sense now.
I still dont think i would touch it myself. Looks like a LOT of headaches in the making to me.

Martin
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Choose wisely!
Unread 01-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #8
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

damn and i thought i was asking for trouble running 5" on short arms. long arms are next on my list, that 35 is trouble..i knew a guy who blew one out on the freeway on 35s..that steering setup isnt much over stock, youd have to re-do that and whats he got for a driveline?
Unread 01-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
olds442
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I agree, its not the worst cherokee i've seen by any means. With 7K i would just buy a stock XJ and do a much better build.
VT
olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
jcole
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well that's what I did. Bought a stock 98 Monty clean with less than 80k miles on it, spent all summer building it up, then it got stolen just before Christmas. Don't really feel like doing a complete build again. Ahh **** it I'm gonna go with the original plan and mildly build up a jk.
Unread 01-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcole View Post
Well that's what I did. Bought a stock 98 Monty clean with less than 80k miles on it, spent all summer building it up, then it got stolen just before Christmas. Don't really feel like doing a complete build again. Ahh **** it I'm gonna go with the original plan and mildly build up a jk.
I have been leaning this way for a long time. Simple, clean, big tires on a small lift. Lockers and D44/D60 from the factory.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #12
olds442
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So you can order a JK with that combo?? We will be trading in our Rubicon next year or 2012 for a better engine option, hopefully. If this is available ill have to get it for sure...
VT
olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #13
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

With those custom control arms it has to ride like a cadillac, and the front pinion angle looks spot on (isn't the pinion supposed to be 10 to 15 degrees lower than the driveshaft) I would drop 7,000 on that thing in a heart beat.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #14
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
With those custom control arms it has to ride like a cadillac, and the front pinion angle looks spot on (isn't the pinion supposed to be 10 to 15 degrees lower than the driveshaft) I would drop 7,000 on that thing in a heart beat.
Ahhhhh, Southern sarcasm at its finest
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Choose wisely!
Unread 01-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
3xratedxj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I will give you $10 not to buy it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.