What do ya think so far? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > What do ya think so far?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-30-2010, 12:42 AM   #1
WJ-1025
1999 WJ 

What do ya think so far?

My dad has a '90 Cherokee that has definitely been worth every dime he originally paid for it. But through the years and many hard miles (almost 300,000 actually) it has taken some wear and tear. So this past summer he started to think that it was time to get another jeep to replace it. After much debating however, we decided that the jeep that has served us so well, still had more life in it. So instead of turning it into a full time plowing machine, we made it our weekend fixer-upper project.

We began by sanding every inch of the body smooth, filling dents, repeating multiple times, then applying primer.

After that, we decided to change the color from a very dull grayish-blue into more of a forest green. We also decided to ditch the chrome and trim the jeep in black.

After many devoted weekend hours, we have the exterior nearly finished. In addition, we replaced every light bulb, including headlights, replaced the rear bumper, restored the wheels, installed a 2" skyjacker lift with steering stabilizer, and put on some meatier tires.

It's been a blast fixing it up together so far and we have future plans to redo the interior next. I value fellow member opinions, so what do you guys think so far? What else could help breathe some fresh life into this jeep?

WJ-1025 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I wouldn't have fixed the dents, but the new paint looks mighty good.

Now it needs nothing but what you need to make it do what you want it to do........

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF037AD
'03 TJ Sport, Black on White, Stock. [[Gone]]
'99 XJ, Purple, Stock but with new wheels.

Running Doorless? Check your state's Mirror Laws!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/list-state-mirror-laws-565361/

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nice work on the body!

How about under the hood? A compression test is always an interesting "snapshot in time" of the internal condition of the engine. Looking for about 120-150 psi with no more than a 30 psi variation between cylinders.

Tuneup hardware fresh? Plugs, wires, cap, rotor?

All fluids fresh? Cooling system up to snuff including new hoses?
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 06:46 AM   #4
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Fixing up the Jeep is great but the real treasure is spending that time with your dad. I secretly sort of like it when my Jeep breaks down so I can spend quality time with my dad wrenching on my pile of crap.
Unread 11-30-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
curtissp
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Great project looks good, well done !
curtissp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
240kat
1997 XJ Cherokee 

looks great!
240kat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
Spencer43783
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm digging the forest green. I'm not a huge fan of trim but to each his own

Any plans on freshening up the chassis after the interior's done? Wire wheel and bedliner?
Unread 11-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
dlancer
2003 KJ Liberty 

I think it looks great. I'm not a fan of chrome so the blacked out trim looks good to me. The only thing I don't care for is the whitewall tires. Keep up the good work it's paying off.
dlancer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #9
WJ-1025
1999 WJ 

Thanks for all of the comments guys

Yeah, me and my dad don't always see eye to eye on some things (who does with their parents lol) but it seems like we can always work together pretty well when there's a jeep involved. I really enjoyed doing all of this work with him.

The engine is still running strong, and we change the oil and filters almost religiously. I also think the plugs are relatively new. We ordered a new cooling fan and coolant bottle, the old one had a small crack forming near the base.

We thought about cleaning up the frame and underbody and applying some type of protective undercoating. Would it matter if an actual undercoating spray was used or a bedliner material? I've never applied any of that stuff so I'm not aware of the differences.

We were also thinking of fabricating some type of roofrack, but that will probably come a little later.
WJ-1025 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
Willy36
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Bedliner's gonna be a bit more durable costing a little more coin than undercoating spray
Willy36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
Willy36
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Oh and very well done on the bodywork. I say slap a stroker in there if the compression isn't up to snuff
Willy36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
Spencer43783
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Rubberized undercoating is just that, rubberized. It doesn't really dry and stays more of a squishy texture. You can get 'professional series undercoating' and it drys pretty well, it's not textured, more of a thick paint. Or you can go the bedliner route. Basically thick, textured paint. I used Rustoleum Bedliner on a couple projects and it turned out decent. Takes a long time for it to fully harden though. I think all the spray cans at WalMart are $7 a pop. I used 4 to bedline my interior floor pans. Doing the chassis will probably take twice as much. Oh and if you use the Rustoleum Bedliner, be warned, it puts off a TON of overspray and comes out heavy and fast.

Edit: All the varieties will vary depending on who you buy from and what type you get. I was just referring to the cheapo walmart ones that don't break the bank.
Unread 11-30-2010, 07:26 PM   #13
sega2010
1997 XJ Cherokee 

It looks great! I can't decide if I like the white walls or not. It kinda gives it a classic look. Very clean. Glad you decided to fix her up and save her than let it turn to junk.
sega2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #14
dlancer
2003 KJ Liberty 

I had some rust in the rear of both rocker panels. I sprayed the whole area with a rust converter. Then I went back and sprayed the whole area with bed liner. Finally I sprayed the whole area with rubberized undecoating. I hope it holds up over the winter. I will check it from time to time and recoat as needed
dlancer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #15
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Good job! I'm impressed. It would be nice to have the time/money to do this kind of thing with my Jeep, but right now it's just not in the cards. But I do agree on the whole spending time thing. Everytime my Jeep breaks, of course it kinda pises me off, but at the same time it isn't so bad because it gives us a good excuse to take a break from all the crap we're doing and just go wrench on it for a while.
marksman1941 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.