what did i do wrong (rms/oil pan & gasket replacement) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > what did i do wrong (rms/oil pan & gasket replacement)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
slayer
1996 ZJ 

what did i do wrong (rms/oil pan & gasket replacement)

Long time lurker, first time poster....

Let me start by saying while I was a helicopter mechanic in the Marine Corps, I never before this worked on my Jeep before...

I have a 1996 Grand Cherokee V8. Here is the progression to where I am...

1) I start intermittently losing oil pressure on the gauge at stop lights/signs. It drops, dings, and then went back up when going again. This went on for about a month but I mostly just ignored it.

2) I drive through an oil change station and within a few days the pressure drops down and never goes back up. At this time a slight leak starts as well.

3) Take the Jeep back to oil change place and tell them whats going on. The manager takes video of my underside leaking from between the pan and tranny and indicates that this is likely the problem with pressure.

4) I call stealership. They tell me it is likely the rear main seal and its a $900 dollar fix.

5) I say no way and I live with the leak until it becomes too much. Being the veteran mechanic that I am, I proceed to buy tools and parts to do the job myself.

6) First day, I go to drain the oil and find that the plug is stripped. Thank you drive through oil change place. I get a new pan from O'Reilly's for next day pickup.

7) Day two, put the jeep on jacks, take off old filter (which is mysteriously different than the new one I have), remove starter, remove inspection plate, undo pan bolts and drop the pan. At this point I realize that yes, I will have to do all that other **** to take the pan out.

8) Day three, mother's day, and since I am a mom, I took the day off!

9) Day four, remove exhaust pipe from manifold (hard even for my little hands, how do you guys do it?), jack the tranny, remove crossmember and mount, slide exhaust down but only to the limit of the O2 sensor wires because I could not get it off. I placed the exhaust pipe on a jack so as to spare the O2 wires. At this point I expect pan to drop but it won't, so I jack tranny higher and higher. NO JOY!

10) Day five, at my wits end and searching around this site for answers. I did not want to get into removing steering stuff so I ask a neighbor for a quick hand. He comes over and says, "turn the steering wheel to the left". I did and voila, pan comes out!

11) Day six, I clean off old pan gasket, remove the oil pump, pull off the rear cap (easily) and pop out the top seal (easily again). Next comes the part of trying to figure out which lip is the "big lip", I am pretty sure I got this right. I use some dish soap to lube the seal and a syringe squirt of dish soap into the channel, the seal goes right in (I used my thumb to keep it from sheering the whole time). Cleaned the cap surface and rtv to the two spots the manual indicates. Bolt it back on and torque to specs. place new pan in with gasket, and rtv the four corners indicated in manual and online research. bolted it up and torqued to specs. replaced all the rest and torqued to specs.

12) Now that it was all back together I took it off jacks, added 5 qts, and started her up. FAIL! Heres the problems:

a) engine sounds like ****, like she is really hurting (oil pump?). On top of
that, there is a rattling (inspection plate?)

b) there is still a leak (though smaller, i think), i smelled it and i think it
smells like dishsoap? so still rms?

c) after a minute of running (****ty) there is mass smoke from right side

d) had to pull out of drive way and park on the street and she did not
want to go. now she sits parked and waiting for me to figure it out.

please help!!!!!! p.s. in the bay area if someone wants to come help me out!

Last edited by slayer; 05-19-2012 at 12:32 PM..
slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry to see your troubles and I don't think it sounds good. Your Jeep is a ZJ Grand Cherokee (1993 - 1998) so hopefully a mod moves your post over there soon and you will get more help. XJ Cherokees never got the V-8 stock. I find it very cool you decided to take on the work on your own and being a shade tree I don't see anything you did wrong.

I suspect that the oil leak was a somewhat separate issue from your oil pressure trouble unless it ran out of oil at some point. Best of luck to your on getting you Jeep back on the road.

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Bump so maybe mods will catch and move to the correct sub-forum and someone there hopefully can help slayer out!!!

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee , gasket , oil pan , oil pump , rear main seal

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.