What is the BEST LOCKER for a daily driver? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > What is the BEST LOCKER for a daily driver?

Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 10-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
4.0H.O.XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

What is the BEST LOCKER for a daily driver?

So, Who makes the most dependable locker, one that I can use both on and off road??[/

My daily driver, more street time than trail time, but sees plenty of that as well. With winter coming up, I want to lock up my chryco 8.25 ASAP, but still be able to live with it on the street. I will upgrade to lower gears later, right now I need to get locked or LSD'd at a minimum.

YES, I am locking the back FIRST on my 4x4. I like to drift it around a bit so please dont try to talk me into locking the front first.

So, Who makes the most dependable locker, one that I can use both on and off road??

4.0H.O.XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
JC_Sahara

2000 TJ Wrangler 

IMO I would go with a selectable locker. Either OX or ARB. ARB requires an air source as the locker is engaged using air. OX is a manual selectable locker that has cable driven controls!
JC_Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Truth is, the only lockers to avoid are the E-lockers. Any mechanical locker will meet your needs.

What is your Budget, and what is your tolerance for noises and clunking coming from your locker ?

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

"the best" is ALWAYS subjective and if there was "the best" of anything everybody would buy that one and all the others would go out of business. That said, I've installed 4 PowerTrax No-Slip auto lockers in 4 different vehicles, including the XJ, all with excellent results, no issues.
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
justanotherjpr

Depending on budget, of course. ARB would be my choice for selectable and streetability, Detroit for ultra reliability and decent street-ability.

I went with the PowerTrax no slip because it was cheaper for my 8.25, but I wish now that I had gone with the Detroit. It really would have only been $150 more for the Detroit.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I have an Eaton E-locker and would not trade it for anything. A fellow jeeper also has an Eaton E-locker in a Dana 30 on 35" tires. He and I have used these for years on very difficult rock crawling trails with zero problems. I bought another Eaton E-locker to put in my Dana 60 I am building. I would recommend an Eaton to anybody wanting a selectable locker. I can wire an Eaton in about 4 hrs. I don't think I could ever setup an ARB.

My Eaton is in the front axle of the Jeep in my Avatar. You can see it in action there locked with one wheel in the air and not breaking .
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #7
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Any of the lockers will lock. The real question is purpose. On a daily driver, if you want it to drive nicely in the snow or ice, or even just wet roads, use a selectable. The issue above was raised about the perfect locker would be the one everyone would buy, but in all honesty, price enters into it. Selectables are the perfect locker, but people don't want to pony up for them and settle for less.
ChicoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Of course I would have liked to get an ARB in the rear of my XJ, but I couldn't swing that price at the time, so I have a no-slip. Feels great in any condition including heavy snow. I'd say this is your best bet if you can't afford a selectable.

If you can get a selectable, ARB or Eaton E-locker. If you don't want the hassle of the air setup, go Eaton.
Unread 10-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

After re-reading the op, it sounds like cheap and easy is main consideration. A "lunchbox" auto locker fits the bill.....easy 2 hour install in the driveway and no ring/pinion set-up required and they lock with the best of them, even with one wheel in the air. They automatically "select" between locked and unlocked.
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #10
the_weirdo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Go with ARB or Detroit in the rear. I run the Detroit and love it.

Edit: Do the gears at the same time. Installing anything other than a lunchbox locker will cost you a new gear setup cost ($300) because you are replacing the carrier. Then if you regear later you have to pay the gear setup cost again. Just buy the gears at the same time and save that extra $300.
the_weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #11
c0ncEpT
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I have lunchbox lockers front and rear in my DD'ed XJ and if I had to do it again I would go with ARB's front and rear.

The front isn't a big deal because it doesn't lock unless your in 4WD its the rear that's the problem. Not only does it eat my rear tires but its embarrassing making turns out of parking lots and such with the tires chirping non stop.
Unread 10-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #12
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I see you have the AX-15. The auto lockers like the Powertrax and the Aussie are much more harsh-feeling when you're not running a slushbox. Unless you drive like an old man and me, you may be happier with a selectable locker.
Unread 10-24-2010, 11:14 PM   #13
Skwerly
1988 XJ Cherokee 

i've got an aussie up front and a yukon gear (same as a detroit) in back. both are great on the street.
Skwerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 11:33 PM   #14
XJcruiser
1999 XJ Cherokee 

aussie up front, detroit LSD in the rear
XJcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 11:49 PM   #15
Steveff

I run a Detroit in the back of my XJ with a D44 and 35's. It isw almost unnoticable other than a little pushing when getting off and on the accelerator. I just did around 2000KM (1200Miles) towing my camper all the way with no problems at all on road. In saying that snow and ice are not really a concern for me.

Cheers
Steve
Steveff is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.