Went wheelin today (pics) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Went wheelin today (pics)

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 02-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
4lmudn

Went wheelin today (pics)

Finished up my suspention lift so I went out to my hunting spot today. It handled really well.

I noticed when I was going over bumps and turning I would hear a knock under my feet. So I had my buddy steer left to right. I found the problem.

Were the trackbar bolts onto the axle bracket the hole has been worn oval. I could tell with out taking the bolt out by how much it was moving. I am trying to think of a way to fix the problem. Maybe by getting a grade 8 washer and welding it on the bracket on the bolt head side. Any advice I need it.

4lmudn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lmudn View Post
Finished up my suspention lift so I went out to my hunting spot today. It handled really well.

I noticed when I was going over bumps and turning I would hear a knock under my feet. So I had my buddy steer left to right. I found the problem.

Were the trackbar bolts onto the axle bracket the hole has been worn oval. I could tell with out taking the bolt out by how much it was moving. I am trying to think of a way to fix the problem. Maybe by getting a grade 8 washer and welding it on the bracket on the bolt head side. Any advice I need it.
click free.
88XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

same thing happened to mine. ive just left it so far. its really annoying. you could cut it off and weld a new plate there. or you could drill a new hole and buy an adj. trackbar.

-Sean
Unread 02-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
4lmudn

did it make that clunking sound?
Unread 02-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
beater_xj

I think welding the washer would work fine. You may want to weld on 2 or 3 washers thick to prevent it from wearing out again.

08' 335i coupe 6spd
-Dinan Stage II
beater_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #6
JimmyDiablo
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I need to get out and do some wheeling.
Unread 02-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
4lmudn

thanks beater xj!
Unread 02-07-2009, 11:57 PM   #8
1996jeepxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

jeep looks good!

Future plans:
Full cage, Long arms with 35s and 4.56 gears
1996jeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2009, 12:14 AM   #9
Stout95YJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

drill the axle mount hole out larger so its not oval to use a wider bolt and correct size bushing sleeve
Stout95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stout95YJ View Post
drill the axle mount hole out larger so its not oval to use a wider bolt and correct size bushing sleeve
That's only an option if the aftermarket trac bar bushing can be made larger. Best/easiest way to do this is to weld on a new piece of metal to it and drill it o the stock size.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #11
Billet
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloo93 View Post
That's only an option if the aftermarket trac bar bushing can be made larger. Best/easiest way to do this is to weld on a new piece of metal to it and drill it o the stock size.
Im with Balloo on this on, also make sure your threaded side has some metal left, and not loose and wallered out
Unread 02-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #12
racerdude_9
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloo93 View Post
i agree if your gonna do it you might as well do it right. either that or make it better then it was stock. which in my book thats still doing it the right way lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.