Welding Exhaust?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Welding Exhaust??

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
svshaw82
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Welding Exhaust??

Hey Guys,

So I figured out the 91 header will work with my 89 as long as I buy the newer downpipe.

The only thing I need to do is hook back up the EGR bung.

I was thinking about cutting the bung off my old exhaust and welding it to the new header. Can I do this with my flux core welder? Or do I need special wire?

All I can find on headers are stainless steel. Is my stock 89 one stainless too? Are they weldable? Thanks!

svshaw82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

If it's magnetic you can weld to it. Flux core is too general to tell you if you have the right wire, not all flux core is the same. Fluxcore just means the shielding gas is inside the wire or rod rather than the bottle. Is it a MIG machine or stick? You can weld stainless, but not a with a MIG welder as far as I know.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
svshaw82
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Yes its MIG, wire feed.
and this is the type of wire I currently use...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-0-035-in-1-lb-Innershield-NR211-Flux-Corded-Welding-Wire-ED030584/100341072#more_info

Or should I use a different wire?
Unread 03-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Stop by a muffler shop. Buy a new bung and have them weld it on.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

As long as you're welding steel (not stainless) it should be just fine. Most wire that you pick up at a Lowes, Home Depot, ect is going to be general purpose. Just make sure everything is extremely clean before you go welding with flux core.

Unread 03-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

And I don't mean for this to come across as offensive, but given that you had to ask basic questions about whether or not you could use your machine and wire I'd assume you don't really have the skill to do the welding you need to do. Like Tim suggested, you're probably better off having a muffler shop do it. It'll cost you a lot less than if you do it wrong and there's a lot of ways for it to go wrong.

Unread 03-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
svshaw82
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Well I've never welded stainless, only mild steel. I'm no professional but I think I do we'll enough as a hobby. That's why I'm asking.

I have to do the repair over a weekend and I'm in a time crunch. My jeep is my wife's only transportation to and from work. So taking the header to a shop wasn't in my time frame.

My only other option is to replace with stock header, or buy the pacesetter repacement?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.