Weird Temp Signature - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Weird Temp Signature

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
jmaxey27

Weird Temp Signature

Hey guys.

I recently had a great little go around with my cooling system after it my 99 XJ Sport overheated. I ended up completely replacing the radiator, t-stat, t-stat housing, electric fan, and some hoses.

I don't know if this is a huge problem or not, but my temp fluctuates between 210* and back down to the immediately lower hash-mark.

My assumption is that the new radiator is doing its job really well and bringing my 50/50 mix down to a nice, low temp.

But... when I let it idle for a little while, the temp goes up to around half-way past the 210* hash mark. The electric fan takes care of it and keeps it there, but I'm a little concerned that this is happening in the deal middle of a cold winter. I don't want to leave it alone and then end up overheating again come spring.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear em!

Thanks

jmaxey27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

What is the condition of your water pump ?

The temperature should stay steady in a very narrow range of 190*-210* with very little fluctuation. You description of the symptoms is a little vague, what temp is a "hash mark" ? Can you estimate your temperature fluctuations ? Do you have full dashboard gauges or just idiot lights.

You should buy or borrow an Infrared Temperature Scanner and confirm you engine temps by testing at the thermostat housing.

water-pump-fins.jpg  

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

As CJ7-Tim said ... There should be very little needle movement displayed on the dash gauge ...

In fact, with a good cooling system - you need a scan gauge or similiar - to pick up on the few degrees variation ... as the factory gauge is not much better than a warning light.

Prolonged idle however ... will usually cause an increase in temp ... and the aux fan will kick in if nescessary.

The longer its left idling ... the more often - the heat up/fan on/fan off, cycle will continue.

If its reaching the ... aux fan turn on temp, very quickly at idle ... you might want to consider the condition of the fanclutch.

Waterpump could also be a factor.

If the temp gauge needle is moving around a fair bit whilst driving ....

- Have a look at the Coolant Temp Sensor connector and ensure its clean and secure on the CTS,
- Try another thermostat ... Not a different temp rating ... just another 195* t'stat.
Carves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carves View Post
- Try another thermostat ... Not a different temp rating ... just another 195* t'stat.
And what "brand" thermostat should he try Carves???

Just a little "inside joke" as I always rave about the quality of OEM Jeep stats.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalker View Post
And what "brand" thermostat should he try Carves???

Just a little "inside joke" as I always rave about the quality of OEM Jeep stats.

Now Now Mr Walker ...

I already, partly joined - the "lemmings brigade" by stating ... a 195* t'stat ... ..

But ..... at this time of year when all your bears are snoozin, you've got 20' of snow in ya backyards and glaciers sliding past the mailbox ...

.... its probably the best choice of temp rating ....
Carves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling system , temperature gauge

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.